Sign in to follow this  
SteveLewis

Need some help - flatten and exclude

I am working on an AFCAD for Fairbanks, Alaska. The default airport is not correct and does not include runway 1R/19L which is 6,500 ft long and 100 ft wide (the default r/w 1R/19L is in reality runway 1/19 - a 3,500 ft gravel strip). The water/ski strip is slightly misaligned but I have that corrected.I have the runway showing as well as the extended Taxiway C. The problem I'm having is that both the runway and taxiway run over a pretty deep gulch. I need to flatten the area surrounding the runway and taxiway. How can I accomplish this?Additionally, I need to exclude some trees that are now in the middle of the taxiway! How can I do this?Steve Lewis

Guest HSIMAN

Hello SteveI am not an expert such as Arno, Rhumbaflappy or somme others fellows around here but have you tried Airport for windows?That's what I use for flattens and excludes.I hope this helpsfriendlyChristian, Pris, France

I think Christian is right. It is probably easiest to use a graphical scenery design program like Airport (http://www.airportforwindows.com) or FSSC (http://www.avsim.com/fssc) to make an exclude and a flatten.If you would only need the exlucde a program like ExBuilder would be easier, but for a flatten I wouldn't know another approach.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Steve:If you don't already have those big scenery design utilities that Arno lists...for flattens I'd recommend Steve Greenwood's FSTFlatten: http://www.fs-traveler.com/flatten.shtmland for excludes Paavo Pihelgas's ExcBuilder Version 2.0 (excbuilderv2.zip)Both generate .bgl files that are fully compatible with FS9.Cheers, Holger

That FSTFlatten tools seems just what you are looking for :). I think it is easier to use then one of the general scenery design programs. Need to put this tool in my collection as well I guess :D.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I downloaded FSTFlatten and it worked like a charm. I also downloaded ExcBuilder v2 and it will not work. I'm going to give FSSC a try next. I'm getting closer on PAFA....

I'm stumped. *:-* I can't even begin to use Airport for Windows or FSSC. I can't find a how to manual anywhere. :-hang

Guest sapper42

Gday Steve, if you have scasm.exe you can make an exclude very easy.to do this, you create a file like this example, you can 1st create it as a TXT file and then change the File extension to SCA. save and drag the file over the scasm.exe icon to create a BGL.;Start ExampleHeader( 1 S12:14:44.70 S12:17:04.68 E131:14:33.00 E131:11:55.75 )LatRange( S12:17:04.68 S12:14:44.70 ); Exclusion of a Tree on the TaxiwayExclude( 1 S12:15:30.7058 S12:15:31.3798 E131:13:59.0068 131:13:58.4702 );End ExampleThe way you input the code is to obtain the Lat Lon from FS with Ctrl Z , Then as you input for the header the Lat Lon values are as follows.Top Left, Bottom Right, Bottom Right, Top Leftthe same applies to the ;Exclusion part.this will exclude the object within the Lat Lon areaCall your File eg: Excl_Tree1.sca Excl_Tree2.sca for the BGL files Excl_Tree1.bgl etc.if you are using FS9, there is another way by using XML and the SDK so yell out if you prefer to use the XML version and ill post up the code for you.rgds Jeff

Jeff,I cant speak for Steve, but I think I would prefer to try my hand at the XML version. Could you please post the code??Thanks IABryan

Guest sapper42

Gday Bryanthis is the code i used to exclude a wayward placed building courtesy of Rhumbaflappy.I would recommend getting Dicks TCalc2004 ( from avsim ) to run with FS9 so you can accurately get the Lat Lon ref.<?xml version="1.0"?>NOTE the way the Lat Lon are placed and keep them in that order as it seems that the SDK way doesnt work. The readings are taken from Top Right and Bottom Left.rgds Jeff

If you can't get ExcBuilder to work, check to be sure that you have MSXML4 installed on your comnputer. Since the BGL compiler is based on XML, you must make sure that MSXML4 is installed on any machines that will run BGLComp. You can find MSXML4 on the Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com. Do a search for MSXML4. I use ExcBuilder and it works like a charm. Very easy to make excludes.Ray

OK. I downloaded MSXML4 (there were 4 files so I downloaded all of them). I ran ExcBuilder again and had the following results:ERROR C2031: Failed element parse ERROR C2032: XML Parse Error! Element tree follows:ERROR: ERROR: ERROR: Compilation errors detected, compilation failed!Parse complete!C:My Documents>DEL "C:My DocumentsFairbanks.xmlC:My DocumentsI just don't know what I'm doing wrong. These errors are different than what I was getting before I downloaded MSXML4.....Any ideas, guys? Thanks for all your help.Steve

I started from the upper left hand corner and went to the lower right. Should I change that? I'll try upper right to lower left, etc. and see what happens. Thanks