Sign in to follow this  
arno

Framerate?

Guest fiddleman

Howdy all,I'm working on an airport with many custom buildings. My question is: would the frame rate benefit from one large bgl (ie airport or groundmaker) or several one per building bgl's (ie fsds).Thanks in advance, :) Phil

As long as you place each object with its own API in Airport or GroundMaker there is not much difference. If you either do it that way or make the BGL files in FSDS each object will have it's own Area command and that seems to be most important for the frames.I have never tested how FS handles many files (and how it influences frames), but I think that does not really matter, as long as you are not talking about hunderds of object/BGL files.But I think it might be easier to keep track of your files etc, to use a program like Aiport. If you produce a lot of small BGL files I think you can easier get lost in what is what etc, so placing them in Airport would be easier then.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest fiddleman

Hi Arno,Thanks for the reply. I did some testing myself and found no appreciable difference between the individual bgl's vrs the single airport bgl. Now for the big question: I've been designing with fsds for a while now and: Is there very much difference between Gmax and fsds scenery framerates? :-hmmm

If you use FSDS2 the floating point commands are also used. If you also design with some care and join as much parts as possible in the end you will get similar framerate to GMax.I have found that when you use a lot of parts and don't join them in the end, you will get a quite big frame loss. This is probably due to all the Call command that are then used. GMax does optimize the code automatically by merging the parts in the source.So, if you design with a bit of care, FSDS will give you the same frames as GMax.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest fiddleman

Hi Arno,Thanks for the input. I noticed drop in the rates while designing a local hangar. I'll try merging the inside and outside walls and snap to the points. I give Gmax a try on my next project.Thanks again,Phil

Of course you will always see some drop in frames :). So can not add more details and still get the same frames as default. So as long as the drop is not really big you should not worry about it.

Arno