Sign in to follow this  
Guest raf

Nooooo "File failed to open" in gmax!!!

Guest C17Chief

Ok so I was trying to merge a gmax file into my scenery and something apparently went wrong.. now I get this error when I try to open my scenery file. Is there any solution to get back where I was? The file is still almost 2mb.. I cant believe this! There is an autoback file of it, but it was like a week of work I lost if thats the only solution.. Didnt know you had to save copies upon copies of your file!*beats head on wall*

Guest HSIMAN

hi thereI know what you mean! that happened to me once. unfortunately nobody seemed to figure what happened! What I do now is saving parts of my work everytime I work on a large sceneSorry this will not help you this timefriendlychristian

Guest C17Chief

Ok now this is just getting rediculous.. Since this happened, I've recovered my old work, and I saved TWO copies of it... now I just opened one of them.. McChord1.gmax and it gave me the error, and referred to McChord2.gmax. I wasnt even trying to open 2. Curiously, I opened 2 and it was dead also. What the blazes is going on? I do not want to lose every copy I have.. theres no way I'm starting from scratch again!

Guest sbdwag

Try using the "merge" command. You can get it back that way. Also It has to do with a Windows XP security issue" Windows sees opening the file as a security threat. A Windows security update will fix the problem (not sure which it is sorry).RegardsDennis Waggoner

Guest raf

Not so sure I can offer a valuable help about your problem, but this's my piece of experience:I run 2 systems: a desktop one running under Win98SE and a laptop running WinXPHE. The sole system where I experienced Gmax files going corrupted is the Win98SE one, I never had such a kind of problem on the WinXP one, even if working with huge files (40mb and over).I sometimes had this problem on the the XP system as well when trying to open small files including grouped objects ONLY, maybe this can help you. I normally merge files and/or parts of files into other files, and I never had problems with that in the latest 1 and 1/2 year.Unfortunately, I'm afraid that there's no way to recover a corrupted Gmax file. You can save your work only if some older backup is efficient still, in this case will be anyway better to repeat the last week of work rather than making everything from the scratch again (ARGH!!)For the future, I suggest you to select ALL objects in your scene and save them as a new file using the 'Save Selected' command, BEFORE hitting the 'Save' button. Also, better to disable the Gmax 'autosave' option (active by default).Raf