Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeW

Novice Designer Question

Guest wolkomir

Greetings:I have no knowledge of scenery design, but I have in mind a project I'd like to try. I want to model the astronomical observatory complex atop Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii for MSFS9. I have collected photographs of all the buildings and a map of the complex. I assume that I would have to create models of each of the buildings and then place them accurately on the mountain. The complex also includes a winding access road. This is, of course, complicated by the fact that each building is at a slightly different elevation.I would certainly appreciate any suggestions as to how to get started with this...what software to use and how to learn the principles.Does this seem like a do-able project for a novice, or is it too complicated?Thanks a lot.

Sounds fun! I'd start by learning gmax. Its a project in itself. I'd work on learning it with an eye on my idea for a project, but don't try to work on your project at first. learn gmax. Once you learn it, you'll understand this advise.There are tutorials in the fs2002 sdk, and many many available on the net. surf for gmax tutorials. Don't worry about the feeling of just doing what you're told...that feels odd, and doesn't really feel like your learning, I kept feeling like I should understand why I'm doing this and that...but don't worry...it all "clicks" eventually, but its too complicated to click unless you've experienced many functions first.Once you feel pretty good about gmax, sure, model each building...that's tons of fun. See if you can find an aerial photo of the area, that'll help with placement.Bob Bernstein

Guest wolkomir

Bob:Where can I find the appropriate G-max doftware?<>

its on your fs9 1st disk, I beleive...you can also download it from discreet.com The export pac is either on your fs2002 pro installation, or wait just a bit...ms is working on the fs2004 version...

Guest JoeW

Thats great.... Maybe this one will install on my puker. V1.0 installed and uninstalled.... Only V 1.2 thinks that v1.0 is still there and aborts the install. I've said before... This is freeware, right? Why have a freeware program with this limitation?Joe W.