Sign in to follow this  
Guest efva2002

Transparency for object type: "LINES"?

Guest efva2002

I'm wondering if transparency is available in any form or any way for objects made as "LINES"?I've tested to add textures, and add alpha to these, but it does not seem to work. Obviously "LINES"-objects can have textures (how strange it after all may sound), but no transparency added to them.I've also tested to change the material itself to be transparent, but with no luck there either."LINES"-objects differ in many ways from normal "SOLID"-objects, so I guess this problem is something there's no way around, sadly.

What do you mean with lines object? Are you refering to the old style roads or to VTP lines or ...?For the old style roads (so non VTP), I have seen this same problem in Fs2000. Even if you added a transparant texture to it, it did not show up as transparant. I have not tested it in later versions again, but that should like your problem and then I guess there is not much to do about it.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest efva2002

With LINE-objects I mean the parameter you can give to polygons in e.g. FSDS, and then they show up as thin, basic lines in FS. Those lines differ from normal polygons (set as: SOLID), because they do not flicker at all at distance, the problem is that they stand out very well, because they do not seem to react to, where the sun is shining from.

Ah, OK. As far as I know it is not possible to have a texture on them. I think they only have a color and with the color properties you should be able to make them transparant (or semi-transparant). Of course this applies to the entire line.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest GerrishGray

Hi guysUnless something has changed in FS2004 (I haven't checked before writing this) lines can only be solid color. They have never been able to incorporate transparency. If it's the excessive 'visibility' of lines that you are worried about then (a) try using 'dull' colors and not bright primary ones, and (:( try keeping the V1 visibility setting down to an appropriate distance (might be as little as 1000m or less depending on the circumstances) and/or use LOD modelling techniques to make them less visible at a distance - give the 'distant' model(s) REALLY dull colors, for example.Hope this helpsGerrish

Guest efva2002

Hi Gerrish,That is exactly the way I've done it so far in my current project. I've made several different copies of that LINE-part, and those who appear when the distance grows, gets duller and duller. It looks better than having a bright line suddenly disappearing, but it's not perfect. But as you said LINE-objects only can be solid, then that's something we have to live with.Thanks everyone who bothered to answer!

Guest efva2002

Hi Gerrish,That is exactly the way I've done it so far in my current project. I've made several different copies of that LINE-part, and those who appear when the distance grows, gets duller and duller. It looks better than having a bright line suddenly disappearing, but it's not perfect. But as you said LINE-objects only can be solid, then that's something we have to live with.Thanks everyone who bothered answering!