Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevekempf

Should be an easy question..

Guest stevekempf

What is the name of the grass texture used for default airports? I have a city texture showing up on my airfields now where the grass should be. Thanks in advance.stevekempf

Hi Steve.Actually, this is not an easy question. There is a nice grassy texture named 'marsh.bmp' that you could use, but it has no seasonal set.If you use one of the seasonal sets that are used for landclass, they will show autogen on the airfield.One solution would be to make copies of a default grass set, then rename the copies, and use those textures as VTP airport backgrounds.Airport backgrounds are an odd semi-transparent blending in the default FS9 setup. And the numbers make no difference... the airfield is controlled by the underlying landclass ( which contributes to why we have the seasonal CTD's for some airfields )We can use different numbers, as represented in the terrain.cfg file, but those numbers have no effect... they are simply there for backwards compatibility.So remaking the Airport Background with a VTP2 poly, and named custom textures, might save some problems. If you decompile the default BGL for your airport with LWMviewer, you should be able to find the number MS assigned to the default background...Dick

Howdy:actually, there are some grassy landclass texture sets without autogen. I don't remember the numbers right now but if you scroll through the landclass selection list in Ground2K4 it shows which textures have autogen and which don't.The one I've been using is called "irrigated grassland", I believe.Cheers, Holger

Guest stevekempf

First of all, my disclaimer.. I've got no knowledge of scenery design whatsoever.. I'm just a dumb airplane painter hehe. I could have probably taken this to the main FS forum but I figured this was you guys' cup of tea. :) Anyhow..I tossed in the old FSGenesis beta landclass for the US and I still have the same problem. There just seems to be no grass texture on any of my airports. Whatever texture the airport lies on just shows through. There are no autogen objects inside the airport proper however. The picture hopefully illustrates this. The same thing happens also when I just use the default landclass. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/61485.jpgI did download and install the BlueSphere summer textures. Could it be something simple like that? Can scenery textures use transparency? Thanks again for any input.stevekempf

Guest stevekempf

After trying several things, I finally renamed my fs9.cfg and restarted FS with a fresh config. Voila, my grass textures had returned with the fresh fs9.cfg. After comparing the two CFGs line for line I noticed that while tweaking the file shortly after install that I had turned both of the vector object lines from 1 to 0. After re-changing the line :TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_MAP=0back to:TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_MAP=1my grass had returned :) Hope this might help someone sometime. Thanks again for the input.stevekempf