Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

Texture display anomoly...please help

Guest abent

When I start FS my scenery looks like #1, with some of the textures very blurry. This happens in the daytime as well. The center of the terminal for some reason looks clear. If I slew up close, the textures become bright and sharp and I can slew miles away, come back and they remain clear as in pic#2.The textures are the same size and I've tried both DXT1 and 8-bit and both mipmapped.A tad frustrating after all the work that went into this.Thanks, Adamhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/61446.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/61447.jpg

Guest abent

Can no one offer me any suggestions? Arno, who I might add has been extremely helpful, has said that it might have to do with the texture being different scales on different polygons. How do I build such a long building without using the same texture? Do I need to create duplicate copies of the same texture and use them thereby reducing the number of unique scalings on each texture. The faces that are suffering the bad blurring are not large - I made sure to put lots of length segments in and the textures are not stretched at all really in any direction.It seems the more I added the texture, the worse the blurring got.I've seen large termiinals in sceneries and there has been no blurring. What am I doing wrong?Please offer some assistance anyone because regretably I'm getting close to scrapping the project. It's very disappointing.Thanks, Adam

Adam,Are you building these buildings in Gmax or another modeler? I might be able to offer some insight, but only if it's Gmax. I've got FSDS2, but haven't built much in the way of scenery with it.thanks,

Guest abent

Hi Bill, It's definitely Gmax!I look forward to your suggestions.Adam

First off, I'd make sure that you export the model using the "keep files" option in MakeBGL so you can edit the .asm file. In the file that has a "_0.asm" look for references to TEXURE_AIRCRAFT at the top in the textures declaration. Change all reference of that to TEXTURE_BUILDING. This is strictly per Arno, but I've found that it sometimes solves odd texture anomalies. If that has no effect, would you mind sending me a copy of the exported bgls and textures you're using? I'd like to see them up close and personal to see if more things occur to me.thanks,

Guest abent

HI Bill, I do not have MakeBGL, but I've been using MakeMDL. I could not find MakeBGL. I have MAkeMDL in my GMAX plugins folder. Should I try to find MakeBGL and try to recompile with it, or does MakeMDL do the same?Thanks Bill, I'm optimistic about success with your help!Thanks, Adam

Guest abent

Oh and of course Bill, I would be more than happy to send you anything you need if the aforementioned fails.Adam

I probably should have been more clear. They're the same program, but when you choose "scenery" as the model type, the export module's title bar says "MakeBGL"... you're doing it right though; there's nothing else to download. But do try that "keep files" option and edit the [filename]_0.asm file when you're done to change the texture type. That may not do much, but it's a good step one.

Guest abent

NO, I should have noticed that LOL. I see the save files option. So I will recompile with that option turned on. Then I find the asm, edit it as per your directions and then recompile? That's correct?Thanks Bill.Adam

Right. Once you have changed all the texture types, just drop the [filename].asm file onto bglc.exe and it will compile a BGL file. Don't drop the [filename]_0.asm file that you just edited onto it, just the original asm (without the _0).

Guest jsvw2001

You should use the makemdl.exe that came with the MakeMDL_SDK for FS2002. You will find this SDK on the MS site.RegardsJohan

Guest abent

Thanks Johan - already got it. Bill is helping me through my "growing pains". He has kindly offered to inspect my textures and Gmax file to see if he can find the root of the problem.Adam