Sign in to follow this  
Guest johnnyboy62

Creating IFR approaches

Hi,The problem I am trying to get around is to stop the straight in visual approaches. If there is an ILS available it will call for the ILS, if it is a non precision approach , ATC doesn't care as long as its above 3 miles or 1000 feet it calls visual (disregarding any non precision approach for the runway available). This is phoney on the ATC part because it can be 1100 overcast, 3 miles, and its an NDB approach but it will clear for a visual. I wish I could see the ground through clouds when I'm on a real IFR approach :)I am trying to find away around this, thus all the questions. Its out of the scenery area I have found out, so its something between ATC and Weather. Any ideas are welcome!Chris

before I created the .xml file with Approaches and bla..bla..bla the ATC was clearing me to visual approach even with zero visibility!I tried it.If you compile the right .xml file the ATC will work properly like other default airport and approaches.

So if I strip out the approaches portion recompile that file, recompile a seperate xml file for the approaches, it will call for instrument approaches all the time, I just won't hear ATIS??Sorry for all the questions :)Chris

Guest jzax

This is great idea G. Franco!Could you please post the xml that you created for your new approaches, so we can have an idea of what has to be included?Thanks in advance!Joaquin

I was going to post the same thing... I managed to exclude all the approach data from Winnipeg International, recompiled that AP XML file, and placed it in the scenery/NAMC/scenery dir... I also made a new XML file just for the approaches, but it would never call for an approach even in hardcore IFR conditions... I mst have missed out on something really important!!Chris

Below is an example of a couple of approaches that I'm working on. I'm also attaching the actual file because the format will look bad in post.<?xml version="1.0" ?>

Well I followed the example posted, added the deleteallapproaches flag, which worked, and only added a single IFR approach in... if the weather is bad it will call for this Non Precision approach, unfortuneatly if its good weather, it still calls for the visual...Only ILS approaches over ride the visual call as posted earlier... somehow I need to trick the sim into thinking its crap weather and force the non precision approaches Ideas??

Hi,try to compile the NDB approach with all necessary approachLegs and than compile the transition for the NDB approach IAF(initial approach fix).In flight choose the option "select another approach" and select your NDB approach IAF transition.ATC would immediatly clear you to IAF and than clear to NDB approach.I hope this helps you. With my .xml approaches it works in this manner.

Hi,If I select the approach it works, I am trying toget the AI traffic to obey the same rules, which needs the less than 3 miles or 1000 feet rule, or an ILS approach.Chris

When I select another approach the ATC clears me only to the NDB approach because the ILS is working and I'm the only plane asking to perform an NDB approach .The AI traffic continues to be cleared to ILS approach.This is normal also in the real life.You have to find a trick to broken the ILS.AHAH!!

>When I select another approach the ATC clears me only to the>NDB approach because the ILS is working and I'm the only plane>asking to perform an NDB approach .The AI traffic continues to>be cleared to ILS approach.This is normal also in the real>life.You have to find a trick to broken the ILS.AHAH!!>> If the only approach available is a non precision approach though to that runway, and not in IFR conditions, the sim will never allow AI to do a non precision approach (only the visual) that is what I am trying to get around.. I am trying to stop the straight in visual approach through the mountains to Honolulu. Even in real life in CLEAR weather ATC clears you for instrument approaches.The only way I can think of "tricking" the traffic is somehow making the ATC think thats its below 3 miles vis, or below 1000 foot ceiling even though it isn't. How to do that is beyond me!! Chris

Try to pose this question to Project-AI forum at the site:www.flightsimmer.com/forums may be they'll give you some tip to force the ATC to clear the AI traffic also to NDB approach.