Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeW

Trees

Guest Tosh

I am trying to place a number of trees using a single Scasm macro covering a section of hilly terrain.Is there a way to make the trees "Terrain hugging" in the same way as Autogen.Any help would be appreciated.Regards,Tosh

If you place the macros without altitude information (type is RefPoint type 7), then they should follow the altitude of the mesh automatically. I assume this is what you are meaning?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest gorchi

Tosh,if You want to use single API to put all those trees on vast area, then this macro should look like assembling a bunch of macros in one. You have 2 problems:1. elevation of each object; it can be resolved with repositioning origin point of every object in all three dimensions. YOu can use special RefPoint instructions but It will cost You some time to produce desirable effect.2. v2 distance will be measured from origin of this macro. If macro is big, let's say it covers area of some km2 (nm2), then v2 should be huge so the trees won't prematurely dissapear.My advice is to use:- Gerrish's trees which are already in library, and insert each tree as separate macro in scenery, or - if You have already own trees, put them in library and then insert trees same as above or- use VTP polygon and assign some Autogen texture (21, 22, 58 or so) and You'll have forest there in no time with minimum FPS drop.Hope it helps. Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest Tosh

Thanks for the response guys. I am experimenting with placing a large number of trees over a relatively small ( I square KM ) area covered with custom photo textures. I would like to place several hundred trees on terrain varying in height from 50 metres to 400 metres. For obvious reasons, placing them one at a time with seperate macros is not an option. Likewise, the VTP poly is not an option also.Traditional macros using a RefPoint 7 will place all objects in the macro at the same elevation. ( Some trees will be correctly placed, some will be buried, some will be floating. )My question, is there a way to place a large number of objects ( trees ) with one Scasm macro that allows those objects to hug the terrain. i.e. Each tree will find it's own correct height.RegardsTosh

Hi Tosh,Have you tried using the annotator tool to place autogen on the photo textures? Or do you not like how that looks?You could also make a macro that places them all with their own RefPoint, but I guess making such a macro (which would require hand coding) takes almost as much time as just placing a lot of separate macros. You would have to define a RefPoint for each tree then.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest GerrishGray

Hi ToshMy Trees Library (trees_v3.zip) already contains macros to do exactly what you desire. Feel free to copy and adapt the API code if you want to use your own trees instead.RegardsGerrish

Guest JoeW

Yep..... There is a diamond shape 6 sided cluster with 5 types or sizes randomly placed that I use all the time. Great addon. Scale at the top is the size of the cluster, tree size is controled by the indivivual tree entrys scale. You can have 5 different types in 5 different sizes in the cluster.Joe W.