Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hugo

FS2K4 transparencies!

Guest Hugo

Well, I do need a refresher!!. Transparencies produced for FS2K and 2K2 using BMP2000 don't seam to work in COF.I have this file 128 x 512 x 256, a texture applied to a white background. Treaded with BMP2000 to produce the extended BMP format, it works fine in 2k2 and 2k but, when used in COF, the white background shows. So, no transparency here.I tried filling the white backgound with pure green (0,255,0) and applied alpha to it, using DTXBmp, and saved it first as a DTX1+alpha but this would not work. As a DTX3+alpha file, it works to some degree but there is a definite green blur to the resulting image that gets worst as one moves further away. Could someone guide me on how I could work the basic bmp file so transparency will show in 2K4? Thanks for any help,Hugo

Hi Hugo,Yes, it is correct that the old transparancies don't work anymore.What I do to correct this is that I add an alpha channel to my texture in a paint program, this way the transparancy is not linked to a certain color anymore, but can be set for each pixel. I think load this image with alpha channel in ImageTool and save as DXT texture (I can't get this working in DXTBmp, so I don't use that tool).I have recently made a little tutorial about this, maybe that helps you. You can get it here:http://www.scenerydesign.org/modules.php?n...order=0&thold=0

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Hugo

Tks alot Arno. I've downloaded your tutorial and I'm confident I will find there what I'm looking for.In my previous post I mentionned BMP2000. I actualy meant BMPExt which can handle other formats than 256x256 BMP2000 is limited to. In any case it does not work either for COF transparencies ;-)Again thanks for the infos,Hugo