Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Quick Question... on Exclusions

Guest bnick

Anyone... Am I correct in thinking that exclusions work only on Airport Facilities and Autogen but not on other MS Scenery ie: Default rivers, lakes, hills etc...?I have a lake I've wanted to zap due to the fact that it doesn't exist. I've had no problem accurately excluding anything on my Airport property or anywhere I've needed to remove unwanted Autogen growth... but this lake has been a pain to exclude and it seems to me that I recall hearing that Default rivers etc cannot be removed...I've loaded over and over Ground2K with all it's patches and manual insertions of it's DLL's but I still can't get it to fly...Below is an example of my exclusion area that I bounded for reference sake with 4 large Antenna's at 50 scale, just to see where my exclusion area truly lies, and I believe it's doing exactly what it was designed to do, except for what I want it to do... hahttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/63368.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/63369.jpg

Excludes only work on the section 9 and AFD scenery, not on the mesh scenery. You can make special VTP excludes, for example to remove the grass of default airports. You can do this with DefArea or Ground2k. It is not possible to exclude lakes (which are LWM polygons), they only way to get rid of them is to cover them with VTP polygons that should the type of land you want.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest bnick

Arno - Thanks again for your always helpful response... If I may, can I ask for a bit more of a definition with regards to what Section 9 and AFD objects entail... I have always tried to use the proper layers for FS2K,FSA2002,FSDS etc, scenery, as well as the new layers defined by FS9, but have also never fully understood say for instance FSDS's Project properties, Area Type's ie: 5(near/large), 8(far/large), B(near/far/large), 6(near/huge), 9(far/huge), C(near/far/huge)... Is this just their way of distancing objects, via visibility, very-sparse to very-dense...?I just installed and studied the latest CoastlineMaker and CellGrid2004 in which I defined perfectly my LOD8 Cells 122,126 for the lake I want to cover at N45:34:46, W122:35:87 I've compiled test bgls for both, VTP/cleare-cells, for rivers/streams, and even set an altitude of 50' thinking surely that would cover the area, and now I see per your answer that it probably did work for Rivers/Streams... but not lakes... I'll probably have to just cover that one with a polygon in FSSD, FSA2002, FSDS...On another point, I did try in CoastlineMaker to create VTP Points, then drew LWM Land polygons which appeared to snap over or onto the VTP Points I had created earlier, but even then with both VTP Points and LWM Polygons creating their respective bgl's, nothing appeared on FS9, nor did it when I created VTP points as a 2 lane-road-concrete... Nothing's showing up in FS9 so far... I can see how this would be a very useful program once, "learned correctly", which as usual brings me full circle to half of my problems...haThanks Again for your assistance...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/63532.jpg

Guest blackhawkmar

I won't be any help to you, but I didn't think that lake existed either. I would be interested to know how you made the succesful autogen changes. I'm going to be re-submersing myself in scenery enhancement for KPDX, KVUO and surroundings. I would like to see things like Rocky Butte, and a good I-5 Interstate bridge. I have been touring the area and observing details at KPDX and when I get a GPS reciever and altimeter I will start putting together a database for mesh changes. If you would like to work together on this at some point in time, please let me know.

Guest bnick

I'd love to help and I've got a great database of high-end digital pics I shot all over KPDX recently as well as some great 6 month old Russian Satellite Imagery I came into doing Sub-meter GPS engineering for Fiber Optic routes coming in from Overseas.I'm learning Gmax and have taught AutoCad since 86 and I'm really enjoying how easy it is to import AutoCAD's 3dsout files into Gmax.I'll attach the Gmax I205 Bridge and the KPDX parking garage with cover and helix style exits created in Cad/Gmax in about 2 minutes.If I can just figure out how to texture the more difficult curves Cad can generate and to light these guys for night scenery this will be a great and fast way to generate Scenery... I'm working with a guy who is just about to release our latest KPDX scenery. The Airbase and Airport facilities are looking very good so far.I've created a single bgl that has excluded the entire default airport but left the runways, taxiways and aprons intact...These parking garage pics are tests only and shown with the default terminal scenery...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/63656.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/63658.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/63660.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/63664.jpg

Hi,The section 9 and AFD scenery do not refer to certain layers. Let me try to explain it a bit :).The section 9 refers to the section of the BGL file. In the old days you had different section. 0 was for navaids, 1 till 6 were for the synthetic tiles (Fs5-Fs98 way to define large areas of land), 9 are the 3D objects and 15 is the old dynamics scenery for example.Each of these sections of a BGL have their specific commands and an old style SCASM exclude for example can only influence the navaids and the section 9 scenery. In Fs2004 the navaids and the taxiways etc have all moved to the new AFD format, and new excludes are available for this.So this has nothing to do with the layers that can be used in the scenery. For the VTP elements it is possible to exclude them per layer. And of course this layer also determines the order in which they are drawn.I hope this makes some of the technical things behind it more clear and about your problem with covering them. I have never used CoastLineMaker myself, but are you sure it can also make VTP polygons and not only lines (as the name suggests)? If you define the polygon correct you should be able to cover the lake.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest blackhawkmar

The detail here is beyond my initial expectations. I didn't realize anyone was putting serious effort on this location...I'm very anxious to get the updates. I have AutoCAD R14, but I have not progressed beyond the tutorial stage, it's a little heavy on the command line use. At this point I believe I am the least knowledgeable in scenery design, but I would like to volunteer my interest and eagerness to help out any way I can. Also if you would be interested in sharing any or all aspects of your database for my study...name your request/requirements. Keep up the good work! And if I find a resolution to eliminating that pesky lake, I will advise you on my findings. -Mark

Hi brick.The lake is made of an LWM watermask poly for the water, and a VTP line for the beach. Ground2K would be the easiest way to get rid of these... I don't know why you would have problems getting that utility to run.You could use LWMDraw, by Ken Nelson:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...02sd&DLID=25643What you can do is simply draw an LWM poly designated as land over the water. I think his utility can also get rid of the VTP2 line ( layer 8 ).You will be left with a flatten where the water once existed. A new flatten at the right elevation ( either LWM or SCASM ) can get rid of that.Dick