Sign in to follow this  
arno

General Scenery Design in relation of alt & speed

Guest FUMNX

Hi everybody,for the beginning: I am not a programmer. The following is a think-model and I would like your opinions about the idea.Recently I bought one of the Mega-Sceneries. Highly detailed with 5-meter-pixels. ok that

I *think* I understand what you're asking, Gunter. The answer is that ground texture tiles in FS use a set resolution of 4.8m/pixel (at the equator). Usually these tiles use mip mapping so they display a lower resolution image at greater distances to improve performance, but the 4.8m/px is the highest res that the sim will display a ground tile. I guess MS figures that you'll probably be spending most of your time at altitude anyway and not on the ground. Perhaps future versions of FS will allow for more detailed ground tiles, but that'll only be practical once PCs have gotten considerably more powerful.Does that answer your question?thanks,

Guest FUMNX

Hi Bill and everybody else,thanks for the reply.Indeed it is an answer to my question. So I understand that a scenery is limited to about 5m/pixel. hmm. that calls for change...... but how can it be then, that the eg. runway-texture is less than 5m/pixel? And even the standard-texture ist better than 5m/pixel. (The next change in colour is less than 5 meters away) This observations leads into the postulation that it must be possible to give a 25-sqm-pixel more than one colour resulting in a better resolution. So a pixel seems not to be a pixel then. (oops this is a paradoxon.....) What I find interesting is that the France-VFR-Scenery advertised sometimes on top of avsim-pages tells something about a resolution of 0.5 m/pixel. I do not own the scenery, so I cannot tell anything about it. I understand that the area of the tiles far north / sounth of the equator ar smaller but at about 50

Hello Gunter,All mesh sceneries have the maximum resolution of 4.8 meters/pixel. So that is valid for landclass and photo sceneries made in that way. The default texture also have this resolution and even if the size of the texture is increased with adding more mips it is not shown.Elements like runways are not part of the mesh scenery, so these local elements have a higher resolution. For small local areas it is also possible to place polygons with photos and then use a higher resolution (like the example scenery you mentioned). But these methods only work if the terrain is flat (or made flat) and can thus not be used on a big area.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog