Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Wanna order your Ground2K4 background bitmap for free?

Guest victorwest

I'd agree that 30m images are pretty useless for urban areas but could they have a purpose when using them for far less developed areas where small detail isn't required?Victor

Hello Victor,Really, you have much better options available. Mapquest offers (or used to) color aerial images of high resolution. Also try Globexplorer.If you spend a little time searching the internet, you may also find other sources of good, high resolution aerial images of Yellowstone, perhaps even the state authorities or the park itself.Best regards.Luis

Guest webin

Hey Holger...Since my ticket is going to be called soon, I downloaded the Portland images to get some practice with ground2004..... (speaking of which, I wish I had time to rewrite it).I am most interested in doing the roads, railroads, and Willamette River, but looking at the b/w, true color, and false color... I can't see the roads in the b/w, can only just make them out in the true color, and the false color seems "grainy" to my eyes (probably since I'm not acustom to looking at the wrong colors.My point being, I don't know if you were planning on including all three in my package, or just the two I requested (bw, true), but I'd like to change my priority to false, then true, then b/w.Also, it's probably somewhere in the past pages of this thread, but could you (or Luis or Dick) re-articulate what tasks each image type is most suited for? I have a feeling I know, but my flight training has taught me to always ask to make sure I know.//Ryan

Guest bnick

Holger... Wow, is all I can say... Thank you so much for the absolutely wonderful bmp files you provided me for the Portland, Oregon area...You seriously should be recommended to the Scenery Hall of Fame for your, "Over and Beyond" efforts and valuable assistance to all of us who love to design Scenery... To a large extent your invaluable assistance has our new Portland area scenery looking just like it would from Space, and even better from 3000 feet... It still just amazes me how so many people who love Scenery design can come together, offer each other their software and advice and then we can create local sceneries far superior to the default scenery that Microsoft provides... Thank you very much...bnick http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/69738.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/69739.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/69740.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/69741.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/69742.jpg

>Hello Victor,>>Really, you have much better options available. Mapquest>offers (or used to) color aerial images of high resolution.>Also try Globexplorer.>>If you spend a little time searching the internet, you may>also find other sources of good, high resolution aerial images>of Yellowstone, perhaps even the state authorities or the park>itself.>>Best regards.>>Luis>Thanks for that Luis. Mapquest don't do aerial photos anymore but I'm going to try for other sources.

Guest IFIKLOS

Hello Holger, It's the first time I am getting my hands on FS scenery design, and i would like to start from my home area, the ancient district of Magnesia in Greece with the city of Volos and mountains Pilion and Ossa and the Tempi gorge. It would be nice to represent the scenic environment and 24 villages of mount Pelion wich are absent from any commercial landclass. As you already know since someboby already asked you for this area this is next to the Sporadic Islands.So lets fire away with the coordinates.South 39 (to match with the southern border of your sporades scenery)East 23.35 (continuing from where your sporadic scenery leaves)North 40West 22.415 m greyscale and both 30m colour (true and false)if possibleIf any problems plz let me know.Thanks for your wonderfull serviceDimitris Phanos

Hi all:Victor, just two more points to consider when looking for high-res aerial photography (orthophotos). (1) if you want to cover larger areas you'll often come across visible seams (differences in brightness and contrast), which can be a pain to remove; (2) most of the available digital orthophotos are in UTM projection, which requires either a payware GIS for resampling or some tedious twisting and stretching in Photoshop. The UK and Swiss photoreal textures show that this can be done but it will be a lot of work. I still think experimenting with the satellite imagery might be a good first step.Ryan, which type of image is best suited for which task depends very much on the area. In dryer areas, the greyscale images can provide great contrast for roads and railroads but in wetter areas the false-color image is probably better (that's what I used for my recent Bella Coola scenery). In any case it's a good idea to keep a good topo map handy, hardcopy or online (e.g., terraserver) for guidance in areas with shadows or too little contrast. If I'm using ECW compression I can probably provide you with all three types but I won't promise ;-)bnick, thanks for those pictures and the kind words - looking forward to an improved Portland Metropolitan Area.Dimitris, you're welcome! I've got the coordinates and will process the image.I've also received additional request by email so there's quite a few images in the queue. I expect that I'll get to the next batch right after Easter.Cheers, Holger

Well I tried the 15m greyscale Beartooth Mountain scenery to see what it looked like just on it's own but with colour (very) roughly added by ColorBMP. As you can see, it doesn't look too bad (the colours would need further enhancement). However, the big drawback is the large pixel size. This is very noticable close to the plane. Victorhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/70259.txthttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/70260.jpg

Hello Holger,Please put me on your list for the following satellite images:Yellowstone National Park - NW corner - N45* 24' W111* 18' SE corner - N44* 45' W109* 02' to join with the western side of Beartooth_15m_band8.bmpAbsaroka Range, Wyoming - Nw Corner - N44* 45' W109* 50' SE corner - N43* 30' W108* 58' joins the southern side of Beartooth_15m_band8.bmp but lies a bit to the east. If my coordinates are off, make the eastern side not less than W108* 58' if possible/practical.I want to carry my Beartooth Lakes project into Yellowstone National Park and southward along the Absaroka Range but as separate projects.Sorry about the format, I can't seem to change it!Thank's for this great service.Wil

Guest webin

Hey Wil... have you released the Beartooths (Bearteeth?) yet?Also, I was browsing the AVSIM file library a couple days ago and saw that Holger has already produced a Yellowstone image set. I haven't looked at it to see what it covers, but it would be a good place to start.//Ryan

Hi all,hah! the hundredth reply to this thread is mine ;-)Just uploaded three more image sets:- Central Willamette Valley, Oregon- Jasper National Park, Alberta- Volos and District of Magnesia, GreeceLet's hope we'll see some scenery files soon!Dimitris, I'm sorry about the missing parts of the Volos area; turns out that the requested area was right in the overlap area of three separate images. I picked the one that contained most of the requested area and I hope that'll be good enough for a start.If anyone notices a systematic displacement between bgl files created with Ground2K4 and the chosen base add-on mesh one can adjust the corner coordinates of the satellite image anytime, even halfway through the project. I would do this by loading the add-on mesh into TMFViewer, with my Ground2K4 files as an overlay, to measure the offset bewteen the two in decimal degrees. Then fire up Ground2K4 and change the NW and SE coordinate pairs via Parameters > Coordinates of the Map (make sure to keep a backup copy of the current project .lwm file, just in case something goes wrong!)Today, I uploaded my landclass file of Namibia, which also contains a few scenery enhancements made with Ground2K4 (I processed five separate Landsat image sets for that baby!). This is my first project for an arid country so I'd appreciate any feedback regarding my choice of textures and vector/poly types.Hope everyone had a happy Easter,Cheers, Holger

Howdy Ryan,No, the Bearteeth still need some cleaning and the project continues to grow. Hopefully I can get it ready to post within a week or so.The image that Holger posted was the 30m color. I need the 15m black and white that shows the roads, streams 'n stuff. It's on his list but I gotta wait my turn.Wil

Howdy,actually, the G2K4-bmp_tetons.zip image set contains a 15-m image but the area covered is different from what Wil wants: southwestern Yellowstone instead of the eastern and northern sections.Next up are a few email requests, then I'll get to the Yellowstone image (haven't heard anything about the Philippines request).Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,Thanks for your encouragement. This may be the first request for an area of Australia. Time to give G2K4 a whirl. Thes coords are for the area around Walpole/Denmark in SW corner of Western Australia.NW cnr S 34* 15' - E116* 40'SE cnr S 35* 10' - E117* 40'If possible, I would like 15 m greyscale and 30m false colour if possible. ECW compression should be OK, downloading PSP plug-in nowRegardsBryan Jenkins

Guest bnick

Holger - Hi, Just a quick question... My buddy and I are preparing to start Scenery packages for Boise Idaho and Spokane Washington... Have you already created background maps that may be available for these areas..?Also thanks again for all your great and friendly service to all of us who have benefited by your talents...