Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

New SDKs posted

Howdy:thanks for the heads-up! Off to check out the Effects SDK - GMAx and BGLCOMP are reserved for the really smart people ;-)Cheers, Holger

Guest grimmy

Seems inferior to the FS2002 version to me. Why doesn't the Makemdl dialogue allow you to change parameters? It just zips through & spits out an XML & MDL file. Do thy expect us to edit the XML file coordinates etc on every single export?All I wanted was the simple ability to use an object pivot point as the Ref_point rather than the 0,0,0 gmax position.Already an oldschool, obsolete pipeline. Now, yet more bottlenecks have been added. Genius.

Exported my airport about 10 times today -- only needed to make one XML file -- makes a lot more sense to me that the old MakeMDL which only kept track of the last co-ordinates.

Guest grimmy

So how do you turn off shadows, convert to ground polys, and turn on the 'no crash' option? Do you have to place dummy crash off objects now? Pathetic.

Dunno about shadows, but the documentation shows how to turn off crash detection for individual objects. No doubt you could use this for the whole model if you wanted.Check out the Attach tool to make landable surfaces. I guess that using this, plus the Bias texture prefix will give ground polygons. I'll have a play with it.In the meantime, I've started a GMAX FS2004 FAQ here:http://www.windowlight.co.nz/design.html

One idea would be possible if folks can figure out how to edit the mdl file. That's where the object code is.Remember middleman? Maybe Chris can do it again.B

Guest grimmy

Yeah, a new middleman sure would hit the spot.Now, where's my FS2002 CD, gotta replace this suspiciously limited new makemdl.

Don't forget that you can run both FS2002 and FS2004 versions -- the MS SDK page has details.

very true, you can change your setup of the fs2002 gamepack to imitate the fs2004 gamepack.. Once you do, you can easily run both versions.

Hi all.You can intercept the X file of the Gmax output by using MDLCommander:http://hometown.aol.de/_ht_a/docmoriarty3/...mmander_dl.htmlPlease visit the main website, as well:http://hometown.aol.de/_ht_a/docmoriarty3/fs2002/en/After you have the X file, you can then use MakeMDL's keep files option ( when running MakeMDL as an executable ) to get to the ASM files. In other words, all you need from Gmax is the X file. Then MakeMDL can be run 'stand-alone'.I have an example of the output here:http://www.flatface.net/~rhumba/Zips/EffectHouse.zipYou can drag'n'drop the ASM file onto BGLC_9's icon. The output extension is BGL... just change the extension to MDL, and you're good to go. I think BGLC_9 is OK for all BGL/MDL compilation??? Dick

Guest Airprox

Sorry chaps,Am I missing something here... When I go to export I can export as an aircraft MDL or a scenery MDL... haven't had time for a proper play, but shouldn't I be able to export as a BGL??? Or as mentioned above, am I going to have to edit XML (gonna have to learn something else new) and then compile by using BGLComp?Please let me have set it up wrong!CheersAlunEDIT Disregard... I just read the Scenery Tutorial... worked it out.

Guest Larrycx

Hi all above, Thanks a bundle for the news on the SDKs. I had decided that I couldn't use Gmax cause I had no way to export even for FS2002; never had more than FS98 til FS2004. Had fits with the 2004 SDK along with others. Wanted a BiasXYZ which wouldn't compile. Found a lot of gold in the new stuff. I only want to mess with scenery, let others do aircraft. I will subscribe to this thread. Dick, thanks for the pointer to MDLcommander. Seems like ther is a never-ending bunch of tools that I may never master!How many bugs will we find in the new SDKs?Larry Costa :)

Guest jersey shore

hey guys..after reading this, i did download middleman and have created asm.....used fsregen and have created an api macro for derek luengs fssc program. then i took the xml file genrated and used bglc that is in the updated sdk to create the bgl file

Guest jersey shore

sorry..wasnt middle man..was mdl commander....just trying now to figure out a way to not be able to put lat and lon coordinates in xml file before i create the bgl so i dont have 2 objects show up