Sign in to follow this  
Guest knnygar

light_nav with new GMAX SDK

Guest Airprox

Hi Chaps,Has anyone got the light_nav etc, tags to work with the new version of MakeMDL/BGLComp for scenery? Also, I used to use a double sided texture on a single plane as a safety net fo my helidecks, with a transparency set in GMAX at about70%. This texture won't show at all now in FS... I'm guessing that the new export procedure doesn't like/won't recognise DS_whatever.bmp any more... or doesn't like the transparency setting in GMAX, Any thoughts?CheersAlun

Guest moomox

I've had some success with nav lights by using boxes. Create a box and select it. Use the new AttachToolGmax.ms script from the Microsoft gmax sdk. This is the new way to add effects and objects. (I think the tutorial is under c:gmaxgamepacksfs2004docs)Basically, run the script, tell it you want to place an effect. Then it will prompt you for the location of the effects folder. Look in "c:program filesmicrosoft gamesfs2004effects." Once that is done, there should be a drop down menu that will allow you to select the effect that you want to use(ie fx_navred). Select the one you want and apply it. Once that's done, the effect will be created upon export of the MDL file.I have also been using ds_ to create double sided poly's and it seems to be working okay for me. Transparency as well seems to be okay... not sure if maybe i've inadvertently done something different or not.Hope i'm making some sort of sense. :-outta

Guest Airprox

Thanks for the reply,Thought about using the "add effect" route, was just making sure that there wasn't another way, or if the tags had changed.As for the DS and transparency... weird, changed allsorts but couldn't get it going, I'll have another play tomorrow, maybe start the texture from scratch.CheersAlun

Guest knnygar

It looks like the light commands in Gmax are only for aircrafts in the new SDK's :(The effects are great for placing beacons and similar lights, but not for spotlights(Light_land).The great thing in the new scenery SDK is the possibility to make platforms in Gmax :)So we lost one thing and gained another.

Guest Airprox

OK chaps,this is weird... I can quite happily place effects, make the Hpad landable etc... but I can't get a light effect to show up. I've tried the method described here, I've tried various different Fx_navwhatever, and I've tried just having the effect show at night, day, no parameter... and still nothing in FS. Any ideas?CheersAlunP.S. The lights show up fine on the aircraft I'm flying... if that helps.

Guest Airprox

With the help of Arno, I've got it working! The cube (or whatever shape you use) for the effect need to be in contact with the model you are creating. Kinda simple, but all my lights were ever so slightly above the model... hence, no show.CheersAlun

Guest knnygar

I think it needs to be within the boundary box that shows when you choose an object in Gmax?I found this in the animation doc, but I wonder if this could be the same for effects?.