Sign in to follow this  
Guest LarryJ_KMSO

FS2004 SDK -- Where is Region Codes list?

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

The FS2004 SDK Doc shows a Region Code of K6 in an example. I thought this was the ICAO region code. However, DAFIF APP_C.TXT (attached) doesn't list a K6. According to this, the US is KZ not K6 and Airports begin with KAxx through KYxx in the 48 states.Did M$ make a mistake?Does someone know where this list can be obtained? ICAO has it but the price was $38, too expensive for my freeware project!Thanks,Larry JonesCountry CountryName ICAORegion http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/64529.txt

Guest tdragger

"M$" (I'm sure they love it when you call them that) made no mistake. The list is contained in the ICAO document listed in the SDK. You can probably find information on the web as well, though it may not be up to date. You can also get this information through the information pages in the GPS by dialing in a given NavAid.

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

I still haven't found a list but I did turn up a two diagrams. One covering the US and a "world" view. K6 is apparently in the New England states.If anyone wants these, send me a private email via avsim.I'd still like the ICAO region list if anyone knows where it can be obtained freely.Larry

Hello Larry,I believe that this list has been placed numerous times in the AvSim library. There must be at least 2 different versions of it somewhere on my hard disk that were obtained there.Try a search in the library - lots in there for our great surprise.Best regards.Luis

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Thanks for your reply Luis,Believe it or not, I did complete a search before I posted my query. Isearched for "region code". Only turned up two threads and one of them was mine!Are you refering to the ICAO airport list? I've seen that one herebefore but not the two letter region list. For example, the New England States here in the US have a designation of K6.I guess I need to be standing at the dumpster when some airlinethrows their old ICAO pubs in the trash!Larry

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Thanks Dick but what was in those charts I have seen before.Here's the mystery: In the FS2004 SDK an NDB has a region code that's supposed to be two characters. MS uses an example of K6. I discovered a chart on the net which had the US divided up into several sections and which revealed that K6 was the New England states. An additional chart (similar to the ones you found) show, for example, that England's region code is E (like the first letter of all their ICAO airport codes).But that's one letter not two. Maybe M$ will allow just one letter for non-US region codes? Guess I'll have to try it.Any way thanks for digging those examples up!Larry

Hi LArry.Actually I think Great Britian's code is EG ( E = Northern Europe + G = Great Britian ).Belgium = EB ( E = Northern Europe + B = Belgium )... the second letter reflects the country.In the case of the US, it's got it's own regional letter ( K )... so the second letter wouldn't need to be U(?).Try this link:http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/06airfields/icao.htmDick

Hi Larry.I was looking in AFCAD2, and I found a way to find MS' navaid regional codes:Load any airport, and then under the "Lists" menu, select Navaids.Click on any NDB, DME, or VOR to highlight it, then select the Properties button... http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/64860.jpgI know this isn't a list, but AFCAD2 reads the files, and apparently the Navaid regions are hard-coded for AFCAD2.Dick

Dick,I am confused by your statement, "I know this isn't a list, but AFCAD2 reads the files, and apparently the Navaid regions are hard-coded for AFCAD2.".Do you mean AFCAD reads the region code from the airport file OR do you think AFCAD has the region codes stored in the program? As far as I know AFCAD reads the region code from the file.W. Sieffert

Hi Bill.The hard-coding is on the AFCAD side. Apparently AFCAD2 reads the navaid regional codes from the BGL, but then doesn't allow you to change them ( which makes it hard-coded, as far as AFCAD2 goes ). We could change them with XML code, but I don't know the problems that would create. Somewhere, I recall reading if we change the regional navaid code, we must be consistant, or the sim will get confused. Maybe that's why Lee denies access to changing those values in AFCAD2. Or maybe he didn't understand them either, and thought it best to just leave them alone. If we are going to build fantasy airports, not based on the real world, then we could probably give them any regional navaid code we wanted.In the US, some airports have ICAO's like KORD for O'Hare. ORD means Orhard... it's original name was Orchard Field... so you couldn't use a consistant 2 letter regional navaid code based on the first 2 letters of the Airport's ICAO code, because some Airports only use K for the region in the US. I think some Canadian Airports are the same way... only using the single C for the region. There are probably others.This still doesn't give us a list of the regional 2-letter navaid codes.. but if it's a real airport, use the letters MS has already designated ( AFCAD2 gives us these ). If it's a fantasy or not included in the sim, then just look in AFCAD2 for navaids nearby ( as AFCAD2 also gives us ), and borrow their navaid regional code.That means we don't need a list.. unless we're just curious.I got confused early in this topic, in that there are ICAO Airport regional codes, and another set of ICAO Navaid regional codes. They aren't necessarily close to one another. Some areas of the world apparently just use the first 2 letters of the ICAO Airport code as the navaid regional code... but this is only if they have never been assigned a separate navaid regional code. Simple, huh?Here's an example:Delavan, Wisconsin's Lake Lawn Airport. Privately owned. Airport code is C59 ( not a CAIO code ). It has an NDB. The properties shows the Navaid region as K5, and the Ident as LW. If I wanted to add a navaid, I'd keep the region as K5. If I built a fantasy airport nearby, I'd still use K5, as that's what the real world would do ( I'd change the Ident to something else ).Dick

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

More on the reason why...If you create an NDB, for example, and by its coordinates you locate the ndb in US region K1 (which is the Pacific Northwest) but you specify region K6 in the xml (New England States), the ndb doesn't show up... at least that was my experience when I tried it. So my little experimental program that generates exclusion rectangles, vors and ndbs needs a list or a chart. That's the reason I'm looking for either a detailed chart, or better yet a list. I found a chart for the US so that isn't a problem. But outside the US, apparently I need a more detailed chart or better yet a list that I can build in to the "freeware" program. I'll just have to keep looking.Thanks to you all!Larry

Guest Diamond Dave

I think AFCAD2 is getting the hard coded region codes from the NV9xxxx0.bgl's, there's ten of then, one for each geographical area.You can decompile them with BGLXML, then search the resulting xml file for region="xx" and make a list that way.Hope this is of some help to you.David

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Thanks David.It looks like the NV9xxxx.bgl's contain a list of all the ndb's and vor's for a specific region. Like NVNAMW0.BGL contains western north america including Alaska. The first ndb to be decoded was Cape Liz., brings back memories of my "white alice" days of long ago. Gracious sakes I'm getting old.NV9NAMC0 was interesting all right. It contains 317 Vors and 311 ndbs. Interestingly, none of the ndbs have a model reference but when you scurry out to one (try Ident:6K in region CY on 302 Khz outside Vernon, BC) you'll find refrigerator sized box with the standard capacity hat antenna displayed. Apparently MS has a way of including a default visual model with objects placed by way of the NV *.bgl files. Also, I note that the a LOW type VOR has a range of 60 nm, the TERMINAL type shows 37.5 and the HIGH vor type is showing 195 nm. (Always wondered what they were!)This is definitely the right track. I'll start burrowing in the .bgls to see if I can't locate or generate a list of region codes. ( Also looking for lat lon for each airport for another project)Larry

Guest osman

In my opinion, the easiest way to find out about reginal codes ist to use the MS files which contain the waypoints. I am just writing a program that extracts the waypoint codes, region codes and coordinates from those files. I hope I will be able to upload it soon.- osman