Sign in to follow this  
arno

Library Creator XML

Hi everybody,I have made a new tool, Library Creator XML.This tool gives you a GUI to make libraries in the new Fs2004 XML format. You can very easy add or remove objects from a library or mass add all MDL files in a certain folder.So basically it offers you the functions of the FsRegen library compiler, but then for the Fs2004 format.You can get the current (beta) version from here [a href=http://www.scenerydesign.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=31]here[/a].I hope you find this tool useful,

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest crashaz

Thanks Arno! Will check it out!:-wave

Guest jersey shore

thanks arno for the program...just downloaded it and will check it outdave

Guest PaavoP

I haven't had enough time to look at these new SDKs. So I have a question: the new XML format indroduced nice attaching commands etc. but is it possbile to attach an effect file to a dynamic object?

Hi Paavo.I'm not sure the new Library Objects can be made dynamic at all! At least not as they are traditionally made.All FS9 objects are MDL files in RIFF format... totally different than the old BGL format. Much closer to the MDL format of aircraft.Dick

Guest 401RCAF_Sly

Hi ArnoWill this app compile any .mdl format into a library object?i am specifically thinking of .mdl files (aircraft) from previous FS or CFS versions.....or are they a totally different format?Apologies very new to this sideSly

Guest crashaz

Hehehe Sly, we keep running into each other. I just tried to convert our CFS2 mdl ships ... not recognized as an FS9 mdl.So I guess that question is answered.We have all the ships in Gmax.. so I will just compile my ships using the FS2004 gamepack... into scenery mdls and then make into a Library BGL.

I haven't check that yet, but I think if you can get the object animating in some way, the effect will now correctly with it, as it is really part of the object.But I don't know if you can for example use a new style library with the old dynamics scenery commands.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

That answers it I guess :).My tool only makes the XML file for the library and offers it to BGLComp for compiling. If the aircraft MDL files are different (and I guess they are) BGLComp will complain about it.

Arno

Guest 401RCAF_Sly

Hi ArnoWhen I first attempted to compile, I got error messages regarding the location of the files (too many parameters). I had placed your tool in a folder called Library Creator....and it didnt like the space between the words... After correcting this, the tool made the xml and compiled it into a bgl....with no complaint from your app or BGLcomp But it doesn't show up in FS9 when called by an xml created bgl.I tried putting the library in various locations, SceneryGenericscenery etc etc,I even tried putting the library bgl in the add-on scenery folder with the location bgl.........What is the correct loction for custom libraries? Should textures be in the corresponding texture folder?Just checking that having apparently compiled a library bgl from a cfs2 .mdl file, my basic knowledge is not letting me down at the last hurdle.regards and thnx for a great application ( the tutor excellent too )Sly

Hi Sly,I do indeed have the program in a folder name without spaces on my PC. If will check if it gives problems if there are spaces and if I can fix that in the source.Are you sure you called for the correct GUID in that other BGL file? I tested it on my PC and there it worked fine.Normally I put my libraries just in the folder of my scenery, so not in one of the default folders like generic. Just place it in the same folder as the placement BGL you made. The textures of course go in the texture folder that belongs to this scenery folder.And are you saying that you could indeed compile a CFS2 MDL file with BGLComp? That might then be the problem, as I don't know if Fs2004 can display such an MDL correct in the scenery.

Arno

Guest 401RCAF_Sly

Hi ArnoYes it appeared that BGLcomp did compile without any error messages showing in your apps screen, I don't have access to it here at work but it did state "Parse OK" or similar once I had sorted out the file name prob.The GUID I used in the location xml/bgl was cut and pasted from the xml produced from your app.I will double check my findings this eveningS~ Sly

Guest 401RCAF_Sly

Hi ArnoThe messages I get in my dos window when I compile a CFS2 .mdl file are....C:LibraryCreate>C:C:LibraryCreate>cd C:LIBRARYCREATEC:LibraryCreate>bglcomp compile.xmlParsing document: compile.xmlParse complete!C:LibraryCreate>It seems to be compiling the cfs2 model OK ...no errors reportedCan I use a Hex editor to examine the resultant .BGL file ?going to triple check my GUID and placement files, it would be good news if it were possible to "place" any .mdl from previous sims into FS9 sceneryMany Thanx Sly

It would surprise me if it works :D.The hex code in the MDL made by GMax uses the new scenery format, so I doubt a CFS2 MDL file also works fine for the scenery engine.But let me know what you find...

Arno