Sign in to follow this  
Guest Larrycx

mdl vs xml , Want bgl with my coordinates

Guest Larrycx

Hi, its me again!!Getting ahead in Gmax with help of new tutorial in Gmax SDK. Export of scenery model makes xml and mdl files in a safe folder. Not using an intercept like MDLcommander, just original MAKmdl.exe in Gmax plugins. I can edit xml by changing type to txt, edit for coordinates, etc. and it will compile and make a bgl. Earlier with different model I compiled with BGLcomp, got a bgl and placed it in FS2004Addon sceneryscenery. It didn't show up in FS.I don't understand the mdl file generated by Gmax. It will have the wrong coordinates for me. I have a feeling that the two types are tied together somehow. What do I do to get the new library object to show up at my coordiantes? What to do with the original mdl file?please helpLarry CostaPS I can't get MDLcommander to work in Gmax; hope I don't need it.

Hi Larry.Why not post the XML file?The MDL file contains no coordinates. The XML file as created by MakeMDL creates a ModelData file ( actually a library object BGL ).To make the XML also place the object, you need to alter the code to remove some comments and change some Lat-Long co-ordinates.Dick

Guest Larrycx

Dick,I will paste the exported XML in txt form below. Editing it for my coordinates & removing comments is not a problem. After changes it will compile with BGLcomp into a BGL.I will have a modified XML, the original MDL and my new BGL files.Where do I place the files into my FS2004 folders? I have been using Fs2004addOn scenery for my LMWs, VTPs & XML that I made & all works OK. Here is ORIGINAL xml:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

Guest jersey shore

if your using it for a particular scenery that you made and have a folder for it..place it in there..if not...the addon scenery scenery folder worksthe other thing is make sure that you have the coordinates coorect.its a differnent value they want..for instance the lon. coordinates shown above has a - before the 122....if you slew in fs9...the coordinates dont have the - before the 122...so make sure its there if you need depending where you location is you just need mdlcommander if you want to get the asm file which really isnt needed unless you want to tweek the scenery that gmax cant do. hope this was of some helpdave

Guest Larrycx

dave,I'm still fuzzy. Getting my coodinates into the XML (txt) is not a problem, I simply copy-paste from Tcalc2004. OK- I have a BGL a corrected XML (txt) and the original MDL in a temp folder. Where does each go in FS2004s folders? When I place an earlier attempt BGL in addaon scenery it didn't show up. I double checked the coordinates.BGL -> fs2004addon sceneryMDL -> ????New XML (txt) -> ???Larry

Hi Larry.Give us the XML code you are using, not the original. The MDL file gets compiled right into the BGL. The MDL isn't used by the sim at all, so it doesn't matter where that goes.You should get one BGL. That BGL can go into any active "scenery" folder... just make sure the texture for the house goes into the twin "texture" folder.Dick

Guest Larrycx

OK Dick, Here is my modified code with my coordinates.<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> -->

Guest Larrycx

Hi,Took out the missed part of comment. It complies OK.Here is the code that is OK. Larry<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>====================================================================================================

Guest Larrycx

Whoops! Try this, the lines are not in the code. Larry=======================================================<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>=======================================================

Hi Larry.I hope it shows OK? I used my own MDL, and it shows for me. Note there are 2 parts.This actually creates a Library Object. ( The MDL code is now right in the BGL. )======================================================This code places the new Library Object.Dick

Guest Larrycx

Thanks so much Dick. I'm too old & tired to try it tonight because I still need to texture it. Perhaps my last try failed cause of no matching texture. I will stay subscribed and let you know what happens.Larry

Textures should not influence it (I have placed them with missing textures and they just show untextured).If they still don't show, have you check if you scenery complexity is not set to low of example?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Airprox

Hi Larry,I'm no expert at this, but I thought I'd just check a few things and see if it helps. You say you convert the XML to TXT to edit... are you changing the file extension to .txt? I don't know if it matters but what you should do is take your .XML file, and open it in notepad but don't change the file extension, so it will always be whatever.XML.To compile it, you should have a folder which contains your XML (edited with your co-ordinates), your .MDL file, bglcomp.exe and bglcomp.xsd. With them all in the same folder, drag your .XML file over bglcomp.exe and a new .BGL file should be created... this file should be a few kb larger than your original .MDL file... if it is, it worked!I pressume you've already established an add-on scenery foldr in FS (added in the scenery library etc). Just copy the new .BGL file over to your add-on scenery/scenery folder and put any associated textures into the add-on scenery/texture folder. Fire up FS and away you go. You don't need to move the .MDL or .XML files as these have been combined in the .BGL file.I hope I haven't taught you to suck eggs and I hope it helps some.CheersAlun

Guest Larrycx

Hi Dick, I'm back again.I built a house & textured it. Used the house.bmp and houselm.bmp as texture files.Exported from Gmax as fs scenery object into FS24004addon sceneryscenery and got XML and MDL files there. Converted texture files house.bmp and houselm.bmp into DX1 per the tutorial and put them into FS2004addon scenerytexture.Cleaned up house.xml, changed coordinates to mine and compiled with FS2004addon scenerysceneryBGLcomp intofs2004addon sceneryscenery to get House.BGL there. It did OK.Still no show in FS but no adverse affects either.Below =====..== is code from house.XMLLarry -- I'm lost!=============================================================<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

That is very strange, your code looks correct and the steps you describe are also correct.The only thing I have not seen yet are the coordinates, are you sure you can also enter them like HH:MM.mmmmmm?And have you checked the scenery complexity? If it is set lower than normal in FS the object will not show.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog