Sign in to follow this  
Guest R5D4

Which Scenery desing tools is best for doing this?

Guest berlin4321

Can some one out their advise which is the best scenery design tool for creating a block of trees and then placing them ontop of the UK VFR scenery base floor.I want to be able to trace the bottom surface of the block so as to match to forrest outline then make this surface a solid block with a given height.Also the scenery design tool to be able to import a single VFR texture tile (once converted to *.bmp) and use this as the template to create the solid block of trees.Finally place inside FS as shown below ,although the scenery tool dosnt have to be capable of doing this as LAGO FSenhancer can do this or MakeBGl SDKtree%20block.jpgthanks

Guest bones

The nearest you'll get to this is Autogen Annotator but it won't do all you want. AA can load the texture you want to modify and you then outline the areas you want autogen buildings or trees. It saves this file as an .AGN file which should be put in the same folder as the textures.Check the VisualFlight forum as there are sveral people populating the VFGM textures with autogen trees and this area may already have been completed.boneshttp://fsaviation.net

Guest Regg001

If it's only the trees you are missing , go with autogen . Find the texture used , and add all the trees you need ..Another option would be to use ground2k4, and generate a poly (VTP2) with one of the default texture (003) at the same place (coordinate) . If you know the tool , that can be done in 5 minutes.

Guest berlin4321

Bucause Autogen trees are LIMITED to 100 -150 per scenery tile when using the Anotator it is important to create a 3D solid block for dense wooded areas thus saving individual autogen tree for where you need them.Did you Know the Autogen trees were Limited?Any Ideas on the best scenery tool for 3d Solids using scenery tile .bmp as a guide and template to work fromLike Anotator tool but draw a solid 3d block with height (h) for those heavly wooded areas IE Wales forrests your never gonna cover them with Anotator tool sorry to brake the bad news.CYA

Guest berlin4321

Something like this:Imagine the 2D motorbike stetch being the SCenery tile, how easy it would be to create that 3D solid block to represent the woodspro.jpgBack to the original question are there any fs scenery design tools that allow you to do this sort of thing?Thanks

Guest R5D4

As someone doing a similar project at the moment on VFR, I've noticed the latest freeware meshes actually elevate those forests ... although not enough (90m resolution)I see 4 options:1) Use GMAX to make a block of trees (an poly with a tree texture) as you suggest. You can make either a 2D poly (so you only need to define the sides) or 3D block (need to define forest roof too)2) Place a tree macro using FSSC. 3) Use Autogen annotator. 4) Make a localised hi res mesh outlining the block of trees.I've tried 1,2,3. 1 didn't blend in well with the terrain. Since the terrain colours change with time of day/weather/season so even if you stretch/repeat your tree texture it will look different to the terrain most of the time (usually greyer in my experience)2 is a frame rate killer and problems with repeating textures (I tried Gerrish trees which are great for landscaping but not forests). 3 has the best results although restricted as you say. If you want to experiment, go with 4..you can get 20m mesh resolution I think with FS2004. please share your results if you try this one!

Guest berlin4321

Hello R4D that high res mesh idea (4) is a new angle i hadnt even thought of.Trouble is how do you make a high res mesh and which programs do u use to do so?Thanks

Guest R5D4

I don't know ... I know that you can flatten/raise existing meshes using a tool "FSTflatten" BUT you are restricted to the resolution of the underlying mesh.I do know the guys who make tools like above and frequent these boards have a few tricks up their sleeves .. try the mesh design board, saying you want to add a small hires mesh area over the top of a lower mesh area.(BUT also try the latest SRTM mesh from FSGenesis (I think) as it may be good enough for you!)Good luck