Sign in to follow this  
arno

New ImageTool with GMAX SDK

Guest gorchi

Hi guys!I have noticed that with new GMAX SDK for FS2004 there is new ImageToll available. Funny, it has smaller size (164kB comapring to "old" 183kB) but it can save into new DXT5 format and allows corrections to mip-maps in R,G and B channels. But I am more curious about that DXT5 format, has anybody make any tests with it - framerates, transparency etc?Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Hi Goran,This is what a quick websearch gave me on the different DXT formats:--------------------------------------DXT1DXT1 is a four-bit compressed color format that allows for opaque, and one-bit alpha textures; that is, textures with no transparency at all, and textures with a single transparent color.DXT3DXT3 adds support for a four-bit explicit alpha channel, on top of DXT1's color compression. Four-bit explicit alpha allows for sixteen distinct alpha values, making it good for textures with sharply contrasting translucent/opaque areas.DXT5DXT5 support a four-bit interpolated alpha channel. Three bits are used to determine explicit alpha values, and two eight-bit values are used to interpolategradually between them. This makes the format especially suited for soft gradients and other textures where the alpha areas vary less wildly.--------------------------------------I have no idea yet how we can use this in FS and what effect it will actually give.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Larrycx

Hi,The Gmax SDK tutorial on making a building has instructions to use ImageTool to convert BMP to DXT1 which it says FS2004 likes. I used it and its output works in the sim. Be aware that you must keep the original BMPs if you want to reopen the project in Gmax or edit them with most pix editors. None of mine can open DTX1 files.Larry Costa

Guest jwaske

Goran,Near as I can tell, DXT 5 isn't supported in the sim, it's just supported in imagetool. Cheers,Jason

The FS2004 Imagetool version should have been updated, if it contained additional features, but it wasn't.W. Sieffert

Guest FR153

I can tell you this much.... It bombs Flight Sim during the update of files portion. Mine sticks at 1% loaded.Because of a problem reported elsewhere, where my night lighting is gone with the new SDK, I tried to reformat my 'lawn' texture into DXT-5. I went without problem. BUT, when I started FS2004 up, it crashed. Has anyone heard of a new Direct-X version at all?Al

Doesn't one of the previous posts indicate that DXT5 is not supported in FS? So I guess that would explain the crash :D.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog