Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mark S

Use of VTP2 polys and possible memory leak

Guest Mark S

Hello all!I use Ken Nelson's utility LWMDraw5 for reworking textures around airport scenery, usually substituting grass in place of trees, etc. Are the small bgl's created and placed (usually in the local scenery folder) also of the type that create the memory leak problem? Any insight on this subject would be very greatly appreciated! :)Best regards,Mark

Guest WeBad

Hi MarkWhat is a memory leak problem? What happens when a memory leak happens?I've been a bit out of touch for quite some time and don't really have any plans to update LWMDraw in the future, at least at this point in time. For FS2004 you may want to check out Ground2K4 for your LWM's and VTP's as you'll be able to create most of your ground scenery within one scenery.bgl.I hope ya find this helpfulKen

Guest Mark S

Hi Ken! Thank you for checking in on my post. :)It has been reported here that the use of Landclass bgl's contained in a scenery folder which has an accompanying texture folder slowly but surely crash FS9 becuase of a "memory leak". Sadly my brain seems to suffer from something of the same sort. ;)I'm having difficulty pinning down if the use of a VTP2 Poly, using one of the standard FS9 landclass textures ( for example, #27 conifer forest)is also suspect for creating a memory leak, or if this problem occurs only with the use of an actual landclass LOD area.Apologies if that description is not full enough. I've released some FS2004 sceneries using your great utility and had not received any specific complaints. However. I'm starting another airfield, and had hoped to really define if I should be placing the VTP2 Poly Bgl's I create in their own scenery folder with no associated texture folder to avoid the leak.Thanks again, I have always enjoyed using LWMDraw! :)Best regards,Mark

Hi Mark:Good question but I don't think that the landclass-textured VTP2 polys will cause a memory leak. I've been using them in my scenery projects without problems, with and without texture subfolders.Well, there are two issues to be aware of with VTP2 polys:1) the textures are vertically flipped but the autogen maps are not; no problem with forests or other simple types but city and mixed textures won't match well well with the autogen.2) when mixing textures types with night maps (such as cities) and those without in the same project file, it might happen that those VTP2 textures without autogen (e.g., golf courses, grasslands, sand, etc.) will glow with city lights at night. The only known work-around is to keep those two texture/poly types in separate project .bgl files.Cheers, Holger

Guest Mark S

Hi Holger!Thank you for confirmimg this for me. :) I almost hesitated to post, as I thought it would be OK to place the bgl's as I've been doing, but as the saying goes about a pound of prevention... ;)Best regards,Mark