Sign in to follow this  
Guest jersey shore

MaxScript Error...Please help...

Guest jersey shore

are u using gmax version 1.2?....and the new sdk for fs2004 properly installed within gmax..also is that the orginal fx_strobe file or did you modify it

Guest abent

Hey Jersey Shore, Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, I'm using Gmax 1.2. I followed the directions as best I could for an FS2002 Gmax installation and upgrade to Gmax 1.2. I have no idea what's going wrong. Obviously I've screwed something up and I've got exe's and shortcuts for Gmax all over the place. The problem is that I'm afraid to delete everything and start all over. I backed up my original Gmax folder, so it's safe I guess. I can't seem to get things configured. My FS2004 Gmax .exe fails to start and says "mtlgen.dlt is missing".I'm totally confused. Maybe you could help me fix this. I'm not much good with paths and such. I don't know how I even got it working in the first place..LOL. I have no problem creating sceneries with my current setup, but I can't get any effects into GMAX. I keep getting the script error.Also, when I try to run a script in GMAX, I navigate to the FS2004 effects folder and no scripts show up.. I have to go to "All Files"in the drop down file type menu. Shouldn't the effects be scripts. Once I designate "All Files", they are there. But inevitably I get the error mentioned in this thread.Anyway, as you can see, I'm in a real mess. I'm not totally hung up on effects, but I would like to get those nice wing type strobes a top of my towers. Also,I made a scenery with a dam and a long dike. I want to get the water wake effect coming out of the dam. But I guess that's unlikely as I can't make effects work.A friend of mine can make these effects happen using BGLCOMP, but I'd like to figure out how to do it in GMAX.Anyway, thanks for listening! Sorry about the babbling.Adam

Guest abent

Oh, BTW, it's the original fx_strobe as found in the FS2004 effects folder.Adam

Guest jersey shore

Sounds like you got some files screwed up...personally...i found a much easier way...what i did was took out my gmax creations and put them to desktop(found in GMAX/SCENES..or GMAX/GAMEPACKS/FS2004/SCENES...depending on where you put them).This way you dont have to start over. Then what i did was deleted gmax completly and started over. Got gmax from fs2004 disk1 and downloaded it. Then downloaded the Gmax SDK and installed that(should install automatically into the proper gmax folder).Now gmax should be ready to export files to xml format. Now inside the GMAX/GAMEPACKS/FS2004/you should see a gmaxfs2004 icon which you can use for a shortcut, and inside GMAX/GAMEPACKS/FS2004/SCRIPTS should be 2 files...attachtoolgmax.ms and gmax clouds.ms. Then check inside GMAX/GAMEPACKS/FS2004/PLUGINS folder and make sure you have makemdl, fsmodelexp.dle, and makemdl.parts. THeir is also the folder SCENES in which you can place your gamx objects you saved earlier to desktop.Once this is done and all files are their..the rest is pretty easy....1. start gmax using the fs2004 gmax shortcut2. open your gmax object you created3. create a box..this is where you will be placing your object..can be any size but will place the effect in the middle so for a strobe effect..make it small so it will be centered where you want it4. Once that is done...across the top will be some selections..one being MAXSCRIPTS...click on it, then click run scripts. you will have 2 choices...attach tool, and gmax clouds.(if it doesnt show up...you have to navigate to the folder it is in...GMAX/GAMEPACKS/FS2004/SCRIPTS). If it doesnt appear, then the scripts are in the wrong place5. If it does show up... click on attachtool. You will then come to a drop down menu. Go to C/PROGRAM FILES/MICROSOFT GAMES/FS2004/EFFECTS(this is by deafult...if you moved fs2004 or the effects for some reason...then navigate their but really shouldnt be done.6. Once you navigate to the effcts folder and click on it(not the texture folder), you will come to another containing options like effect, object, platform, etc. 7. Click on effect and got to effect to attach, a drop down menu will appear and look for FX_strobe.Once you found click on it and should appear in the line.8. Next..right abouve it is effect name. You must give it name which will not be duplicated...which u can use strobe.If you make another object in the same gmax scene with the same effect...u must use 2 different names.(example..strobe.1 and strobe.2)8. Then click on ATTACH an EFFECT. It will seem like nothing has happened but it you look at your part name it should say attachpt.strobe or whatever name u use but should say attachpt in front of it.9. That is it...save it and export your scenery to where you place your scenery files and should have the needed files.IMPORTANT!!! doing it this way will not allow you to export objects that are not XML format...for instance fs2002 format. IF you want both versions of gmax you need to save the fsmodelexp.dle and makemdl from the the origanal gmax plugins folder before you delete everything. Once you re-installed gmax...you can place those files back into C/GMAX/PLUGINS folder...not the GMAX/GAMEPACKS/FS2004/PLUGINS folder.IMPORTANT!!! when you have both mademdl files in gmax at one time...you will not be able to export the SCENERY MDL...only the SCENERY BGL like in FS2002. To export in SCENERY MDL format for effects, simply just take out the makemdl out of C/GMAX/PLUGINS and put it on your desktop until you want to export your file in the old bgl format.Sounds like alot but it really isnt. I find this easier then the directions given in the SDK. But if you rather just deal with the new format...then dont bother putting the old fsmodelexp.dle and makemdl files and just use the new ones with the sdkif for any reason you still have problems...right back on here and will help you any way i can. tries writing this the best i could for you to understand. goodluckdave

Guest Diamond Dave

One question about the FS2004 GMAX SDK setup. Inside the GamepacksFS2004 folder there are two files, plugin.ini and gmax.ini if you open them up you will notice that all the file paths are pointing to FS2002, surely this should read FS2004?No wonder Adam is confused when MS can't even get it right:7

Guest abent

Dave, you're a righteous dude! :( Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. Without this kind of assistance, I bet many people would get frustrated and give up. I look forward to implementing your process after work today. Can't wait to see the strobe and other effects in COF :-jumpy Cheers, Adam

Guest abent

DiamondDave, Yup, the process is, to say the least, a tad confusing. I'm optimistic now with the other Dave's directions. Good luck to you as well.Adam

If one reads the "Intalling the FS2004 GMax SDK over the FS2002 GMax SDK.rtf" that comes with the FS2004_GMAX_SDK.exe, it should be clear on how to setup the gamepacks. Microsoft does confuse the issue slightly telling you what to put in the gmax.ini and plugin.ini files for FS2002 and then supplies the files in the docs folder, as stated in the large boxed Note at the bottom of the first page.When FS2002Pro was released, it had a convoluted gamepack installation that placed the MAKEMDL.exe and FSModelExp.dle in the ..GMAXplugins folder vice a separate gamepack folder. The FS2004 GMax SDK attempts to correct these errors.Presently, I have four gamepacks for various games installed. Each is called by its own menu item. The caution above to remove the MAKEMDL.exe and FSModelExp.dle from the ..GMaxplugins folder is a good one, since GMAX will alert you to the dual files if they are found on GMax startup.W. Sieffert

Hi Adam."mtlgen.dlt is missing" means your plugin.ini isn't pointing to the right directories. You may have more than one plugin.ini, but they should all read the same.Here's what mine looks like:======================================[Directories]Standard gmax plug-ins=C:gmaxstdplugsAdditional gmax plug-ins=C:gmaxpluginsFS2004=C:gmaxgamepacksfs2004plugins[Help]=====================================Dick

Guest abent

Jersey Shore and others...Well, I managed to get the effect attached in GMAX with no problem. I am however having exporting problems. 1) If I remove the MakeMdl from the GMAX/plugins folder I get the option to save in "FLTSIM.cld", "FltSim scenery object (MDL)", "FltSim Aircraft Object (MDL)", "Plasma" and "all formats". I choose Fltsim Scenery Object and when I export MakeMdl exports without giving me a chance to put in the lat/long coordinates and heading. I have no idea where it's sending the scenery but it's not where it's supposed to be. I look in my scenery folder where the files go and there is a MDL file and an XML 1K document.2)If I keep MakeMDL and FSmodelexp.dle in C:/Gmax/plugins, I get the duplicates message. I can export in all the same file formats plus the option for .bgl. I go ahead and save in FltSim Scenery Object (MDL). Again, no opportunity to set coordinates. It creates an MDL file in my scenery folder this time with no XML doc and the scenery is no where to be found in COF.Incidentally William, I tried going the installing over fs2002 approach and couldn't get that to work. Frankly, it was not really all that clear to me, but I'm a bit clutsy with computers.All I'm trying to do is add a strobe light to a scenery that I already created with FS2002 GMAX. This is turning out to be a major headache. But I do really appreciate the help you guys are giving.I sure wouldn't mind any more advice you guys could give.Dick, I don't seem to be getting that error message anymore. Thanks though. I have the same directory paths as you now.Thanks a lot!!!Adam

Guest jersey shore

Well the format now is a tad different....you wont get the option to set lat and lon lattitudes like the old export..instead you must edit the xml that was exported. Sounds like everything is working now and the files are in the right spot. if you like...paste your xml file that was created and the lat and lon coordinates you want. might be easier this way so you can compare to what i did. you can open the xml file in note pad...you might get confused trying to write annd might delete something important.dave

Guest abent

Here it is Jersey Shore, I was looking at the XML later and saw the scenery object Lats and Longs which I guess are at SeaTac. I went there and saw no sign of my scenery.Again, I appreciate the help. :D <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> - - - - - I would like it to appear at N53*10.31W99*19.31 at a heading of 135 degrees

Guest Diamond Dave

AdamYou need to remove the comment quotes around the scenery object.Have sent an email.David

Guest jersey shore

<?xml version="1.0"encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> - This is what i did....and you must do to every scenery xml..1. removed commit markers...compare to the one you sent me...just deleted them2.changed that lat and lon to your wants and edited the headingJust copy what i edited over your xml and save it.Next you will have to use the BGLCOMP that came with the BGLCOMP SDK..just drop your xml over it and should produce a BGL file.I learned a tip and i use all the time...is that you can place your bglcomp in your folder where your xml is exported to..basically just saves time flipping through folders. If you do it this way..you will need BOTH the BGLCOMP and BGLCOMP.XSD file together in the same file(both are located in the BGLCOMP SDK if you dont already have it) otherwise i will not work.Matter of fact you copy and paste both these files and place them anywhere as many times as you wish..but i just place them in my FS9/ ADDON SCENERY / SCENERY folder.Well this should be it.....just let me know how it turned out. Their might be a possibilty it doesnt work...and if it doesnt...you need to download a file from microsoft..i'll look for it and post it here if you need it. Goodluck