Sign in to follow this  
N2056

GMAX objects in SceneGenX

Is it possible to create an object in GMAX that can be used in SceneGenX? My guess is that it is possible, anyone know how?Robert

I assume that this would work, but I haven't tried it yet :)You'd need to create your own library objects -- I've covered this in a tutorial here:http://www.windowlight.co.nz/design.htmlLook for - 'Designing an airport using the new FS2004 SDK tools'Once you have created your library, you can simply place your GMAX-created object's GUID using SceneGenX the same way you place a default object.I've just had a flick through the tutorial, and it seems that in my haste to post some screenshots on my forum, I overwrote some of the tutorial images -- which is why the illustrations don't make much sense. I'll fix that tonight.

Hi Robert.By default, all gmax objects made with the new FS9 MakeMDL will be Library Objects, and can be placed by SceneGenX. SceneGenX just makes an XML file that will place them. SceneGenX is for FS9 only.Dick

Dick,The question is this...while in SceneGenX how do I choose my object? It is not in the list of library objects available. I used Library Creator to get an .xml file of my object, but I still don't 'see' it in SGX. I have no idea where the .xml file should be placed.I am working in FS9, and have been successful in adding stock library objects to scenery.Thanks,Robert

Hi Robert.Don't use the Select Button or it's list:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/66903.jpgJust type the GUID number into the right space. Remember, the MDL from gmax needs to be compiled by BGLComp.exe into a Library Object BGL ( it's default setting for the XML file ). That resulting Library Object BGL, the textures for it, and the SceneGenX placement BGL, all need to be active in the sim for it to show.Dick

Dick,That helps, here's what I have...I made a cylinder in GMAX and exported it as a scenery mdl. At that point I don't think there was a guid. Then I used Library Creator, which gave me an .xml file with a guid. I can see inputing the guid in SGX, but where do I place any/all of these files in FS?Robert

Hi Robert.Are you using the new FS9 gmax SDK package?Gmax will produce an XML file for compilaton with BGLComp to make a Library Object.The GUID number is in the XML code.What is Library Creator? Is that Arno's Program? I guess it would work if it's for FS9 libraries.Just make a project folder, with "scenery" and "texture" sub-folders. The BGLS go into "scenery" and the textures go into "texture". Add the project folder with the Scenery Library in the sim. The Library Object BGL and the placement BGL can be in the same "scenery" folder.Dick

Is there a specific location for the .xml file? I've followed the steps, but I still have no visible object in the sim. Right now in the project scenery folder I have the .mdl, .bgl, and .xml files for the object.

You would do the following.Make one library BGL from the XML file GMax makes or with my Library Creator XML tool. This BGL file goes into your scenery folder.Then you make a second BGL file with SceneGenX, where you enter the same GUID as you used for the object. This BGL is also copied to the scenery folder and then everything should work.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hey Arno!I figured it out on my own, it works just like you explained. Thanks for the great tool! I've already put it to work adding static aircraft created in GMAX to a local airport. Great fun...Robert