Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeW

Regenerate Scenery without restarting FS

Guest Wecou

Is there a way to see or re-render the scenery changes in fs9 without having to restart it every time there's a change to a scenery file?

Guest luissa

Hello,You can assign a key to the "Refresh Scenery" event. I do not know if it will make a "full" refresh.Luis

I tried it some time ago, but that does not refresh the BGL files. So if you have made changes to them it does not work. Can not remember if it does reload the textures correct.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest rellek01

If you are working on a scenery and want to alter an existing bgl or texture file, you can replace the files with ones of the SAME NAME. Then, use the goto function in the sim and go to an airport in a different area,(choose a small airport with no traffic and with sparse scenery for speed). When you go back to your airport, the sim will load the new files.rellek

I think it is faster then to just quit and restart the sim. I have setup the startup location so that I return where I left the sim. Also the menu is not shown on startup, it just loads it.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

The problem with the above may be that not all of the updates are made. Only when you see the message about the scenery files being updated or recataloged with the new files be available.Add scenery to the library, then close the flight simulator, as advised. Using Windows explorer, open the ..Flight Simulator 9 folder and search for Oldscenery.cfg, Newscenery.cfg, and Scenery.cfg. Restart FS2004, let it stabilize, then close FS2004. Look again at your ..Flight Simulator 9 folder for the same files. One or more should be gone.W. Sieffert

I have done this successfully as mentioned above, work the scenery with whatever you are using, compile your bgl, then go to another airport and come back to the one your working on and the changes are there. It only takes a few moments to do it, and works every time.Hornit

Hi all.As Arno states, in FS9 you must exit the sim and restart it for all changes to be shown reliably. MS gives us a warning about this in the Scenery Library:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/67686.jpgChanges to the Scenery.cfg will be made as you exit the sim. Changes to individual Scenery.dat files are generally made at the start of the sim. I haven't had much success by going to another area of the planet and then returning. It's just as easy to exit the sim and restart from a FLT file... and it ALWAYS works.The FLT files are saved in your "...My DocumentsFlight Simulator Files" folder. You can make a shortcut to 'Previous flight.FLT' and save that right on the desktop, to quickly restart the sim where you last left off.Dick

Guest JoeW

This is one of the things you have to put up with doing scenery. I have never found a way to bypass this.Joe w.