Sign in to follow this  

Any GUIDs with GMAX tutorial??

Guest ticosimmer

I'm so sorry to ask this...as it may be answered many times before....but soes anyone knows of a tutorial on how Guids work with gmax...how can i design an airport and use f

The only way you can use GUIDs in GMax is when you attach a library object with the attach script.But it is better (and easier) to use a program like SceneGenX to place your objects (and design the airport).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I've been had good success creating objects in GMAX and placing into scenery (I'm working on improving Montgomery Field located in San Diego) by doing the following...1. I created a folder in the Addon Scenery folder for my project (KMYF), and added subfolders titled 'scenery' and 'texture'.2. I export my GMAX object as a scenery .mdl to the 'scenery' folder. Place any textures in the 'texture' folder3. In that folder you will find .xml and .mdl files for your object.4. I use a program called Library Creator (Thanks Arno!) which allows me to 'add' an xml file to a new library, assigns a guid, and then compiles all the added objects into a .bgl file which I save in my 'scenery' folder.5. I use SceneGenX to place the item in my scenery, again saving to my 'scenery' folder.6. Fire up FS9 and add your scenery. Note...you only have to do this one time.7. Restart FS9 and see how it looks.The biggest thing I discovered is that apparently somewhere in the guid the location of the .mdl file is 'stored'. If you move the .mdl file after you compile the associated .bgl in Library Creator it won't work!Good Luck! Robert

Hi Robert.The output of the new MakeMDL for FS9 from gmax gives a MDL file, and an XML file.The XML file, by default, is a Library Object creation file. The MDL file is the actual object, but is not usable by FS9. By using BGLComp to compile the XML, you will have a usable Library Object with a unique GUID number. The GUID has nothing to do with the location of anything. The GUID is a unique reference number that identifies the object for placement in FS9.The BGL compiled by BGLComp contains the MDL and the GUID and some other XML controlled data. The old MDL, as well as the XML, is now no longer needed, and should be moved out of any scenery folder. As far as FS9 goes, the XML and the MDL are worthless.Dick

Yes, Dick is right here. You should be able to remove the MDL file with seeing anything in the scenery after you have compiled the library BGL.Of course it is better to keep it in some folder, in case you want to recompile the library or add a new object later.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

To get more technical: the GUID is a globally unique (at least it's supposed to be, and chances it's not are pretty slim) identifier used internally by applications to identify units of code.Windows uses them to identify ActiveX components for example.If you have Visual Studio (or Delphi or Borland C++ Builder among others) you will have tools to create your own GUIDs quite apart from makeMDL. On a machine equipped with a network card, GUIDs are created based on the network card MAC address and a timestamp (among other things).On machines without a network card they're typically based on a random number and a timestamp, which reduces the uniqueness and increases the possibilities of duplicate GUIDs existing.