Sign in to follow this  
Guest sapper42

Help! Part of my object disappears!!

Guest FlyGirl

I created a rather long object for FS2002. It was a course of gates in the sky about 14 miles long. In GMAX I laid out the gates as I wanted them and them I attached them so they formed one object. When I fly about half way through, the whole thing just disappears! Is there a size limit for objects? Its odd...I can see the whole course in the distance, but when I pass a certain point it disappears into thin air. When I go into slew mode and back up, it all reappears. But when I go forward again, it vanishes. I posted this question in another forum but the reply was beyond my level of knowledge. I was told to "calculate the correct value of V2, and insert it in your calling macro or in the asm file". I have no idea what this means. Can someone explain it to me please?Any advice is greatly appreciated.Christine

Hi Christine,Is the object you are placing centered around the 0,0 coordinate in GMax? There is a maximum distance that an object will be visible from this point and I think it was around 20 km. So if you did not place it centered around that point you could get into trouble.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest FlyGirl

It was centered close to 0,0. I can see it just fine, but it disappears as i move along it. Because I was worried about it being too big i broke it up into 3 sections and exported these sections individually (each section is in its own file). The center point of each of the sections is close to 0,0. Thanks Arno.

But do those 3 sections each have the same center point? Or are they placed at three different coordinates.If it is the first case then it makes no difference, this is due to the way GMax exports.Does this dissapearing happen also when you turn 180 degrees and move to the other end of your object?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest FlyGirl

The 3 sections have the same centerpoint in gmax. I put them at different coordinates in FS so that they appear to make a single contiguous object (i.e. I line them up).Yes, when i go to the other end of the object the disappearing still happens.Do you think its possible that my video card can't handle it? (I really don't know much about this stuff).Thanks Arno.

I've seen this one with large macros, like icebergs, made in gmax. Arno is right, it has to do with the centerpoint, but I have no idea what to do about it. As long as the center point is in front of your view, you will see the object; once you pass it, it vanishes. I can see my icebergs vanish as I pan and the centerpoint passes the edge of my screen, and the other half of the 'berg vanishes.If you have a tube-like macro, once you flew past the mid point, your object will vanish, but if you pan back, it will appear once the center point enters your screen view.Kyle>The 3 sections have the same centerpoint in gmax. I put them>at different coordinates in FS so that they appear to make a>single contiguous object (i.e. I line them up).>>Yes, when i go to the other end of the object the disappearing>still happens.>>Do you think its possible that my video card can't handle it?>(I really don't know much about this stuff).>>Thanks Arno.

Guest FlyGirl

Hmmm, maybe i'll experiment with having the center point at a different place within the object. I thought dividing it into sections would be the answer, but apparently not.

Yes, I would expect that that should solve it, but maybe the different parts are still too big? When you talk about the 14 nm is that the entire object or each part?It could also be the v2 value, but as far as I know GMax calculates that one correct.

Arno

Guest FlyGirl

The entire object is 14 miles long (not nautical miles).What is a "V2 value"? That is new terminology to me.

Ok, 14 miles so it is even a bit smaller then 14 nm :). If you then split that into three parts I wouldn't expect that you still have problems.Basically the v2 value sets the radius of your object. FS uses that information to check if the object is already behind you. Here you can read a bit more about it:http://www.scenerydesign.org/modules.php?n...=article&sid=48Could you otherwise post the GMax or the BGL file here at the forum? Maybe if I had a look I could see more.

Arno

Hello Christine,Thanks for coming to this forum. We are always happy to welcome new scenery designers.V2 is a value that determines an area around your object. If this value is too small, your object will disappear even if your are looking at it. So, you must calculate this value correctly.Normally, GMax calculates this value for you if you export as a bgl (Christine is creating for FS2002, I believe.) However, there seems to be an upper limit to V2, so very large objects will never display correctly.This problem came up some months ago with someone who was doing exactly what you are creating - a group of gates in the sky for approach procedures to an airport.You could try making individual (small) gates and placing many of them. Normally, this will solve your problem.Arno is our expert on this, and will surely be glad to help.Best regards.Luis

Guest sapper42

HI Christine, as Luis mentioned about V2, it allso turns off the scenery that is behind your viewpoint once you are past it to save on processor useage ( the sim wont need to draw objects that you cant see ). I think your best solution is to create an API of a single gate and place multiples of them, allso , remember that in real life, you wouldnt be seeing them for 14 miles unless you have sensational vision. create them so that you get a realistic amount in view and have them appear as you approach with time to allow you to line up your track. allso check your V1 setting so that they are not loading into memory before you can actually see them !good luck, rgds Jeff