Sign in to follow this  
Guest pecrowther

How to avoid water up along my coastline cliffs

Guest pecrowther

It appears that the coastline does not quite match the mesh- but that's what "flattens" are for. If you used coastlinemaker to create the coast, you can set the height of each of the coastline cells to zero. That will cause the water portion to go to sea level.Ground2K should have a similar command.Phil

HiI'm using Ground2K but when I draw a coastline I use "poly with shore" with LWM = Land. Besides Heigt= -9999 in order to make the mesh active. I do not know how to set my coastline cells to zero with the Ground2K.Best regardsLars

Guest Tony_A

Hi Lars, you could use the Re-mesh feature in G2K to lower the height of the land near your coastlines. Be aware that if the underlying mesh has a peak (or peaks) near your coastline that you will get a slope down to 0' (sea level). If the peak is too close to the coastline or too high you will get water "climbing" up the slope. You will have to lower the heights of the peaks until you get rid of this effect. If you are making small islands you will find that you have to remesh to much lower than actual heights to get rid of the effect.. Hope this helps Tony

Hi TonyThank you for the answer Tony. I guess that there is no way to solve this problem in a sort of "automatic" way in Ground2K. One have to do the re-meshing of the coastline "by hand" where it is nessesary. I guess it's a rather common problem?ThanksLars

Guest pecrowther

Lars,From looking at your picture, I would be more inclined to redraw the coastline to fit the mesh and to eliminate the "inlet". Not sure that there is a good/easy way to redraw mesh. (The only method I have found is to use Microdem to edit the mesh on a point by point basis. But this is very tedious and you may not even be able to get the resolution that you want.)Phil

Thanks Phil, Obviously there is no easy way to solve this problem. In Ground2K its possible to move the coastline with the mouse and in this way sort of enlarge my island in such a way that the coastline will fit where the land in my mesh-bgl begins. But I guess it is a tedious job too. As far as I see the work process its a question of.... (1)looking at the coast in FS and write down the proximately lat/lon position where the coast does not fit to the mesh.(2)Go to Ground2K and move the coastline a bit - compilate the BGL.(3)Go back and look at the result.(4)Etc etc - until the result in FS is OK.I guess thats the way in which you can do it. Any one got a better solution for a rational work-process?Cheers Lars

Guest pecrowther

Lars,I'm not sure how Ground2K works, but in coastlinemaker, you would:1. Overlay grids on the terrain.2. Take a picture of the terrain.3. Create a background picture in coastlinemaker.4. Draw a new coast line that covers the affected cells and matches the coast line shown in the background picture.5. Fill in the LWM.6. (If necesssary) "X" out the old coastline.7. Set the elevation of the water to "0". (Because one can never get a perfect match.)Sounds complex, but it is fairly straightforward and the bottom line is that you don't have to guess where to put the coastline.On the other hand, merely closing off the neck of the inlet may be enough to allow the flatten to work. So you may succeed on the first try.Hope this helps,Phil