Sign in to follow this  
Guest MatthiasS

Scenery Location in BGL

Guest MatthiasS

I have another BGL format question. It appears the BGLs containing scenery start with 0201h, so the format is different fromt the terrain BGLs which start with 0001h. Is there a format description for these files with the 0201h header ?All I need to know really is where the scenery is located and the approximate coverage area. I kinda need the same info for airports.I guess I expected there to be more info available on all that stuff.Anyway, thanks for any hints.Matthias

Hi Matthias,What kind of scenery files are you looking at? The default Fs2004 scenery stores the airports in a different format then Fs2002. This is the format listed in the BGLComp SDK. Fs2002 (and also almost all addon sceneries) use a different format as described in the Fs2000 scenery SDK.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest MatthiasS

Hi Arno,I have been looking at two file types in particular. One is a scenery object I have placed into the world myself with the FS9 BGLCOMP.EXE tool. Another one is a downloaded AFCAD file from ProjectAI. Both start with world_set = 0x001 instead of 0x201 and the magic number differs even between each other which lets me to believe the header is even different than the one described in the 2000 SDK for Pre-FS 7.0.I wonder what is the layout of these files ?I noticed a tool called ScanAFD that reads out AFCAD facility data so I assume this information must be public somewhere.:-zhelpThanks,Matthias

Guest MatthiasS

I think I just got lucky cause I found Winfried Orthmann's BGLAnalyze tool and info in the AVSim file library... :-)

I think you should also be able to find a document made by Winfried in the file library that describes (part of) the format.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest MatthiasS

Yes, that's what I have been using now. There is no way I could do any of the stuff I am doing now without it. Must have been quite a challenge to gather all that data.Anyway ... need to sleep now... thanks for your help :-outta