Sign in to follow this  
Guest osman

Adding objects to the library list for use with xml.

Guest flipper

:-hmmm Does anyone know how to add macros to the library list so they can be used in the xml files for new scenery?

Guest luissa

Hello,I really would like to know the answer to the question by Flipper as this is a crutial matter for those designers, like me, that have pre-gMax models. Can I pack a library with those models and call them with XML + BGLComp? Are those previous models "no hope or waste"? Shall I look for some kind of model converter? Shall I wait for SCASM 3.00? In particular I would like to hear a positive statment on the first question. I have read some descriptions, like in Arno's valuable web site, but I could not see a definitive "NO".Kind Regards, Luis

Ok, that is simple: NO.Objects of old style libraries (so FsRegen, SCASM, etc, everything not made with the XML code) can not be placed with the new XML code. This only works if you have made the library with the new XML code.This is a bit long term planning, but I am working on a converter that can make new style MDL files out of API macros (or SCA sources). It will take me some time to finish this (and we need a compiler as well that can make the new format), but I think it will be possible.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest flipper

I've been searching the net for a tool that could do just that!.... directly convert api's and scm's to a mdl file. I guess this means there is not one of those either! What about a tool to turn mdl's into bgl's for 2002 and 2004. I downloaded the tool XMLtoBGL but it says it's for 98 and 2000. I've made one quick try with it on an aircraft for 2002 and I couldn't get it to work, but like I said it was a quick try and I didn't put forth much effort, am I wasting time or is there another tool available? :D Thanks to everyone for the tips!

Guest RollerBall

HmmmLooks like all us non-GMax people are doomed then. After taking several looks and making a few false starts I just don't have the time to commit to learning it. Oh well, I guess my family will be seeing a bit more of me now:-roll

Guest xboomerx

What would be cool is if we all could put together a "standardized" add-on pack of library objects. End users could download and install the pack and it would make scenery design easier. The pack could have stuff like pre-designed buildings, static aircraft, vehicles, parking lot textures, skyscrapers with reflective glass:-sun1, and so on. Does anyone know why so many of the Microsoft designed objects in LibraryObjects.xls won't work?

hi,I remember Rhumbaflappy, in a previous post with same subject, saying that there's a way to get free all Guid's objects.This would be,with the exception of all famous monuments,like Paris Arc the Triumph,Roma Colyseum,London Trafalgar square etc the right way to make accessible to all anonymous scenery designers all anonymous objects.

Guest flipper

The reason most of the library objects won't work is because they are region specific! Search through the forum on that subject, I remember seeing something where someone had figured out how to change the object code so you could use MOST of them anywhere else.

I don't think it is that bad. I think compilers like SCASM and FreeSC will be updated to the new format. And once that has happened the other design programs can be updated as well. But this will take some time. So for the moment GMax is the only option for the "modern" BGL format.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

No, the tools that are there are to convert MDL files from aircraft to statics. But aircraft MDL files have a different format (so can not place them with the XML code in your scenery either).Also, until there is a compiler like SCASM that can make the MDL file, building such a tool to convert them makes no real sense. So at the moment it is mainly in the planning/thinking phase.

Arno

Guest luissa

Hi Arno,Thanks for discussing this matter. I wonder if you know where the incompatibility between "old" and "modern" objects resides. I explain what I mean (note that I never run the MS compiler on a XML file and therefore I may be completely wrong!):a) the BGL compiler can produce a "placement only" BGL file calling a unique ID library object.:( it can also generate the BGL library file with the library object.c) as an alternative to :( I could produce an "old" library file containing the same ID called by the BGL file in a). But this will not work!My doubt is: is it the BGL libary file structure that is different or is really the object code part that changed? In other terms: if had a "modern" library file with just one object, could I replace the object part of the file (maintaining its header ... ) with another one generated with old techniques?Kind Regards, Luis

Hi Luis,I assume you mean BGLComp with the MS BGL compiler in this case?Then a) and :( are both true. You can even mix the XML code in one file and have the "object library" and the placement in one file. But I still make a separate object file in my projects, just because it is a habbit and it is easier if I want to re-use some object in another project later on.c) is also true. You can of course make an object library in the old style (GMax/FsRegen or SCASM). But when you call that GUID with XML code the object will not show.The BGL files made with the XML code have a completely different structure. So I think MS did not anticipate this type of mixing of the new and the old code when they added the backwards compatibility (or maybe it is just technically not possible to mix them).Both the placement and the library format has changed a lot, therefore it is not possible to just replace some bytes in the library. The total object format has changed.

Arno

Guest flipper

Hey guys!I guess there are lots of ways to reach the end results that we want, and everyone probably has there own way of doing it. Personally I like to use as few different programs as possible so that I don't have to keep learning new software. As of right now the way I'm managing is first I make a flatten area with 16N, which works fine in FS2004. Then I use the BGLCOMP SDK and XML to make my airport and all of the basics such as the vor, ils's, etc. Then I use FSDesign Studio Pro v2.x to make what ever objects I want at the location that I can't get out of the object library with XML. Seems like a lot of steps but so far it's working out pretty good and I can continue using programs that I'm already familiar with. What I end up with is 3 seperate BGL's for new scenery, but that is basically what happens using FS Scenery Creator. What I find good about this procedure is that I can make changes to any part of the scenery I want without having to create a whole new scenery when I only want to add one or two things to an area or take a couple away. Like I have said this is just the way I have come to do it, it definitely doesn't mean it's the best way. When it comes to scenery design, I'm a real cherry. The last time I tried any scenery design was with FSASM and FS5.1. Any of you guys who have been around Flight Sim for 8-10 years remember those days, and things have changed a lot since then! Just remember the idea is to have fun!:-badteeth Thanks again for all the tips!