Sign in to follow this  
Bill Womack

Disappointed with Efforts Colouring Sat Photos

Hi Bob (don't know where I got "Sam" from, sorry),I don't think I'd depend on top-down screenshots from FS for getting a match on the colors. A better method would be to identify which textures are being used for the landclass you're viewing, find that texture in FS and make a 24-bit converted copy for use in your image editor. That'll give you a version of the texture that's not affecting by terrain and lighting, thus a much better absolute image to match. The textures can be matched to their landclass counterparts partially by using the terrain texture names doc in the FS2002 (I think) terrain SDK. Of course, it's only a partial match so you might want to copy all of your FS textures into a new folder and convert them all to 24-bit and then view them using the thumbnail view in your folder options to see which ones appear to correspond to the landclasses in question. It's a little time consuming, but I'll bet you like the results better.thanks,

looking good, Bob. Only comment to add is that spacing your grey scale values out equally may not be the most effective use of colors, I guess I'm only saying this from experience with the usgs terraserver black and white images. I found huge ranges of grey scale were hardly represented at all within the image, and then sometimes seperation of only a few grey scale values produced good effects to be sperated in color.Just refinement concepts....your results look fine. It just might mean you aren't really seeing all the colors.Bob Bernstein