Sign in to follow this  
Guest Claviateur

Exporting from Gmax to FS9 (a step back ???)

Guest Claviateur

HelloI came back to work on some Gmax models for FS9 to find out that the new MakeMDl does not bring a BGL directly to FS but exports an XML to be edited and then recompiled with BGLC. Isn't that a step back in terms of usability? And by the way how do we make the MakeMDL stays visible to edit its options? I heard about the MakeMDL.cfg, I created one and pasted the lines mentioned with Debug=1 but still can't get the MakeMDL stay...Any idea plz?Michel

Hi Michel.If you're comfortable with the FS2002 MakeMDL, then stick with it. It's output works fine in FS9.The new FS9 MakeMDL outputs scenery as an MDL file in the new RIFF format. The XML file by default works with BGLComp to produce a FS9 Library Object. The XML can be altered to place the object, or can be combined with the text of other XMLs to make larger Libraries containing several objects... and even place them as well.The new FS9 Library objects can be placed by the old methods or by newer XML/BGLComp methods.So far, intercepting the ASM code is of little benefit, as that requires a special hacked version of BGLC to compile ( BGLC_9 )... and the code is somewhat limited in what can be done with it. There are some different things that can now be attached to objects, but a hardened platform is probably the most useful. The new objects can have some animation, but they cannot be adapted to Dynamic movement either as a Dynamic Library Objects or by BusyObjects.So, you could regard the new MakeMDL as being experimental in nature, and can be safely avoided if you want to remain using FS2002-style objects and placement code.Arno has a great website that has topics devoted to the discussion of the new Gmax techniques and BGLC tweaking:http://www.scenerydesign.org/modules.php?n...rums&file=indexDick

Guest Claviateur

Thanks for the explanation Dick :) This encourages me to keep using the FS2002 MakeMDL for now indeedThanks!Michel

Guest Claviateur

Hi DickI placed the FS2002 MakeMDL at the same place where the FS9 one is located and moved FS9 one out of Gmax folder but when I run Gmax I still see the same list of export files types CLD, A/C MDL and Scenery MDL. No BGL. As if the FS2002 plugin is not located. Then I did a test and it give me an error saying it can't find the export plugin or something like that...Can you help me please install this old FS2002 plugin to make it work in Gmax 1.2 like in the old times?Thanks :)Michel

If you installed the FS2004_GMAX_sdk, you should have all the files necessary to have both the FS2004 and FS2002 gamepacks. Read the "Installing the FS2004 GMax SDK over the FS2002 GMax SDK.rtf" in the ..gamepacksfs2004 folder. Microsoft goes on to explain that you need to make a couple of files, but then provides the files in the ..gamepacksfs2004docs folder. They are: an FS2002 GMAX shortcut, gmax.ini, and plugin.ini.If you look at how the FS2004_gmax_sdk gamepack installed, copy the same format for FS2002.One thing to check is whether you have a copy of MAKEMDL.exe and FSModelExp.dle in your GMAXPLUGINS folder. If so, remove them from this folder or you will have conflicts.The gamepack concept is suppose to isolate each start of gmax with its own set of parameters, e.g., FS2002, CF3, Trainsim. The gamepack shortcut points the start of gmax to use the correct files: %GMAXLOC%Gmax.exe -i gamepacksFS2002gmax.ini -p gamepacksFS2002plugin.ini where %GMAXLOC% might be C:GMAX.W. Sieffert

Guest Claviateur

I will try this thanks allot :)Michel