Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Removing default airfields grass areas

Hi ThereI`m a newbie to FS scenery design I can just about cope with Airport and FSSC. However, I am really struggling with the following: I have used the exclude facility within FSSC to get rid of the default airfield but I am stuck with the ugly default grass pad which I would like to remove. I have done some searching in this forum and came up with a reference to a tool called DefArea which apparently does this. However, I cannot fathom how it works. Can anyone help me?So far, I have established that I should be removing layer 4 (please correct me if I am wrong - I don`t feel confident with these layer thingies!). Also, I have installed Defarea and FSConnect without problems. What I can`t figure is what the start / next/ pause / stop buttons do on Defarea and how they should relate to me (presumably) slewing around the area I want to remove. Also, does Defarea reinstate the autogen buildings where the removed layers once were. The other thread I found mentioned this as being a problem. Thanks all for your help.CheersLungs

Guest sapper42

Do a search for Ground 2K4 or look back a page in this Forum for SBuilder from PTSim.com and you will be able to create a VTP2 Polygon ( set to layer 7 ) and place any texture into the VTP2 polygon at a shape you like that they use as you see fit . this way you can alter the area you want and itll still look like its a default texture and blend in .rgds Jeff

Hi JeffThanks for the info. I`ll give GRound2k4 a try. One question. Will a VTP2 polygon include autogen?Thanks againLungs

Guest sapper42

The VTP2 polygons that both programs use will allow you to place the VTP2 polygons with or without Autogen depending on the texture you use, some of the textures have autogen, some dont. One of the programs has a " Y " next to the texture name that tells you it has autogen. One thing to remember, if you choose a diff airport polygon texture, you may need to place excludes within your airport to remove unwanted trees. This isnt a big issue and easy to do with scasm ( get the latest version with VTP2 support ). Best way to find unwanted trees is to test with Autogen turned up Full within FS as you test to see where the pesky blighters are.rgds Jeff

Hi again JeffThanks again for all your help on this. I have got Ground2k4 now but am still struggling. It is asking for a .lwm file and I don`t quite know what they are (!). Is there a way I can load in the existing FS scenery and then insert the vtp2 polygon to cover the offending airport pad?CheersLungs

Do a lib search and get Ground2k fopr beginners..LWM are the files created by Ground2k with all your work in it. To create your project, you first need a background bitmap. To get that I recommend downloading a small utility CellGrid2 which you can use to create a lat/long grid scenery object. You install this object into FS and then slew to your project area and take a top down screen shot. Note: when in slew mode hit the spacebar to cause your aircraft to orient to North up, or when you try to set up your bitmap in ground2k4 you will have problems figuring out why it isn't working right. Don't ask me how I know this! You will see the boundaries of the cells and areas within your project area. Note2: for what you are doing, a cell is a large piece of space. A few areas probably cover all the space you need to work with. Luck being what it is, it may be that a cell boundary runs right through the middle of your project, but that's life! Slew around and record the lat/long for two points within your screen shot (that you can find again later) one towards the NW and one towrads the SE. Then save your screenshot as a .BMP and you are ready to start ground2k4 and follow the advice in g2k for beginners.There is another tool out there, lwmviewer, that is very helpful in looking at the results of your ground2k4 project, without having to install it into FS9 and actually viewing the results.scott s..

Hi ScottThanks for the advice. I`m going to spend some time on this over the weekend so I`ll try and find the ground2k for beginners file - that`s exactly what I need. LWMViewer sounds good as well. Currently I develop in FSSC on one PC and install it into FS running on another - its a pain to restart FS every time.Thanks againJames

Thanks to both of you for all the advice.I managed to get rid of the offending airfield baseplate this morning.Its very basic, but I have from this...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/71810.jpgto this...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/71811.jpgWith the aid of the enthusiasts, the possibilites for customisation are just endless!Thanks again. James.