Sign in to follow this  
arno

Problems using the FS2002 MakeMDL together with the FS2004 MakeMDL

Hello,I was just wondering how some people get it to run the old FS2002 make MDL for Gmax in coexistance with the new one.I tried to install the FS2002 MakeMDL afterwards and followed the instructions as mentioned in the file "Installing the FS2004 Gmax SDK over the FS2002 Gmax SDK.rtf" that came with the FS2004 Gmax SDK.Everything works fine so far. Gmax starts with the title "FS2002 Gamepack" when I use the new ink-shortcut. But the BGL file type doesn't show up when I click "File -> Export". (???)Thanks for your helpSasa

Hi Sasa,I just did the same according to the document you refer to and here it works fine. When I start with the Fs2002 link I get the BGL/MDL export option as before and with the Fs2004 link I get the new MDL/CLD export options.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Sasa.I tried something a bit different.I renamed my FS2002 installation folder as "gmaxOLD". I use this for FS2002.I then installed gmax and the new MakeMDL files as per the usual installation... but as if I had no FS2002 installation. It keeps it simpler.I keep shortcuts to the Gmaxes on the desktop, renamed as Gmax2002 and Gmax2004, and use them as needed.Dick

For testing purposes I've copied the new FS2004 MakeMDL from the gamepacks/fs2004/plugings folder to the gamepacks/fs2002/plugings folder and then the new file types show up in the export menu.But the same thing doesn't work with the FS2002 MakeMDL in gamepacks/fs2002/plugings. Gmax still don't show anything else than "Plasma (P3D)" for exporting.I've found that Gmax needs "FSModelExp.dle" as included in the FS2004 plugins folder to show the new file types. But there's no file like that for the FS2002 MakeMDL.Maybe it is not possible to use the FS2002 MakeMDL (I have the latest) with Gmax version 1.2?Sasa

>Maybe it is not possible to use the FS2002 MakeMDL (I have the>latest) with Gmax version 1.2?It works when all the directions in the readme.txt are followed, including copying the two included "shortcuts" to the desktop!I missed that the first time around myself, so please don't get the impression that I'm just a smart-a$$ know-it-all! :)However, in order to fully utilize the FS2002 version of MakeMDL.exe nothing has changed from before: you still must have the FS2002 FSModelExp.dle file dated 09/12/01...You see, GMax exports via FSModelExp.dle to an .x file... MakeMDL.exe then takes the .x file and produces the .asm and _0.asm files, finally assembling them into either a .bgl (scenery) or .mdl (aircraft).The bottom line? If you don't have the FSModelExp.dle from FS2k2, then you cannot use the FS2002 "version" of MakeMDL.exe... The FSModelExp.dle was included in FS2002 Pro Edition. It may be found elsewhere, but I will not support piracy by telling where or how... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill,What Readme.txt exactly are you talking about?I've found the FSModelExp.dle somewhere on the FS2002-CDs but now I get an error message while exporting: "MakeMDL was not found, or failed to convert the model ... Check your system path to ensure MakeMDL is on it"Well, MakeMDL is in the Plugins folder and also in the Windows folder (what the hell do they mean with the system path?)RegardsSasa

Did you put the makemdl in the newly created Fs2002plugins folder? Together with the fsmodelexp.dle?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Sasa,Read the last part of the error, "MakeMDL was not found, or failed to convert the model ...". Go to the gmax folders and look for and open the error file. It should give you more information about why the model didn't convert. Everyone wants to jump on the first part of the error.W. Sieffert

>Hi Bill,>>What Readme.txt exactly are you talking about?Well, I said "readme.txt" simply because I didn't want to type out the fully qualified name of the file, which is cleverly named:"Installing the FS2004 GMax SDK over the FS2002 GMax SDK.rtf"I think the name is quite clear and descriptive as to the contents! :)However, this should have been at the TOP of the file, not the bottom!"Note: When you installed the FS2004 gmax SDK, the setup program placed copies of gmax.ini, plugin.ini, and FS2002.lnk as described above in steps 5, 6, and 7 in the c:gmaxgamepacksfs2004docs directory."It's somewhat atypical of MS to throughly describe all the steps THEY took to implement the needed changes, which leads people to think they have to actually DO all those steps themselves...The reality is, that all the needed work was already done; they simply didn't bother to let you know until the very end of the long-winded explanation! :)It actually reminds me of a "test" that I took many, many years ago while at the University of Florida, Gainesville, which consisted of 100 questions. At the very top of the test were the "instructions" for completing the test, which included the admonition to read all the instructions and questions before beginning the test!.Just below question #100 was the instruction to "Sign your name in the space below, and return the test to the Student Assistant. Do not answer any questions!"Only a handful of us turned the "test" back in to the Student Assistant and left the lecture hall within the first fifteen minutes. The rest of the students took the full two hours and still didn't manage to complete the "test." :)

Fr. Bill    

Ok, here now step by step what I did following the "Readme.txt" mentioned by Bill:I did it all from the beginning so that I was able to write town everything what happened. Updating the old version of Gmax that came with the FS2002 CDs wasn't possible. So I downloaded the latest version 1.2 from the Discreet website.After this I installed the FS2002 Gmax SDK and followed the instructions:===================================If Gmax was not installed from FS2002, install Gmax 1.2. Gmax 1.2 setup is provided as part of the Flight Simulator 2004 setup, or available as a download from http://www.discreet.com/products/Gmax/. Once Gmax is installed, the FS2004 Gmax SDK can be installed to C:Gmax (or wherever Gmax was installed).==================================That fits to my case but here is no explanation about following steps. So I thought I have to take the third step:==================================If Gmax was installed from FS2002 installation and was updated to Gmax 1.2, use the following procedure to relocate the FS2002 SDK components so that they will properly coexist with the FS2004 SDK components:====================================================================1. Create a new folder in C:Gmaxgamepacks called FS2002.==================================OK!==================================2. Create a new folder in C:GmaxgamepacksFS2002 called plugins==================================OK!==================================3.Move MakeMDL.* from C:Gmaxplugins into C:GmaxgamepacksFS2002plugins==================================OK! I moved it there from the FS2002 Gmax SDK I've downloaded.==================================4. Move FSMdlExp.DLE from C:Gmaxplugins into C:GmaxgamepacksFS2002plugins==================================Here it is more difficult because that file wasn#t part of the online SDK. I've found it on CD 2 of FS2002 in the Gmax.cab.==================================5. Create a new file in C:GmaxgamepacksFS2002 called Gmax.ini with the following contents: blah blah blah...==================================OK!==================================6. Create a new file in C:GmaxgamepacksFS2002 called plugin.ini with the following contents: blah bla blah==================================OK!==================================7. Create a new shortcut in C:GmaxgamepacksFS2002 called FS2002.lnk blah blah blah==================================OK!Now I start this shortcut, get some error messages that folders like "help", "texture" and "scripts" are missing in the Gmax "gamepacks/FS2002" folder und choose "Heidi" for the graphics.Then I create a simple box in Gmax and try to Export it using the Export and saving as BGL function - filename "test". MakeMDL starts and asks me for the coorinates (N00 E00). After that I get the described error message and the "Test.log" says that:=====================================Running modelStart! (F:FS_ToolsGmaxgamepacksFS2002test)Loading X F:FS_ToolsGmaxgamepacksFS2002test...Error in exporter: Mismatch between # vertex faces (-20) and # normal faces (1) in part Box01.Error!Error!=====================================That's not all. Now I'm also unable to convert the files after I startet Gmax with the FS2004 plugin. I get the same error message but the new MakeMDL doesn't give me a log of the process or something like that.I think now you can understand how puzzled I am...Thanks for every help.Sasa

Bill,Do you know Dr. Michael Gannon? I met Mike through my wife's affiliation with the Catholic Church Folk Group (circa 1975). The folk group held a reunion several years ago in Gainsville, where I met Mike. He has written several books on Florida History and also on German Submarine activities during World War II.W. Sieffert

Sasa,Hopefully, you read the entire "Installing the FS2004 GMax SDK over the FS2002 GMax SDK.rtf" before making the gmax.ini and plugin.ini files, since MS provided the files after telling you to create them (See Bill Leaming's trick test above). Go to the ..GmaxgamepacksFS2004docs folder and see if there are two files and an FS2002 shortcut. In any case, you have these errors when starting since the gmax.ini file is telling the gmax executable where and what files you have. Open the gmax.ini file you are using and make sure you have the folders listed under your gmax root folder.I am not quite sure of your next to last paragraph, "That's not all. Now I'm also unable to convert the files after I startet Gmax with the FS2004 plugin. I get the same error message but the new MakeMDL doesn't give me a log of the process or something like that.".Are you talking about the FS2004 MakeMDL.exe or the FS2002 MakeMDL.exe? If the FS2004 MakeMDL.exe, open your ..Gmaxgamepacksfs2004plugins folder and look for MAKEMDL.CFG. Make a copy of this file and rename the copy MAKEMDL.CFG.COPY. Open the MAKEMDL.CFG and add the following:[Options]ViewLog=1KeepErrorLog=1Save the file, restart FS2004 Gmax shortcut and see if the error log is written to disk.I got this information from somewhere on this forum, but cannot find it now. Maybe someone will point you to all the options available.W. Sieffert

No, I don't know Dr. Gannon. As a Comp. Sci. graduate student, I didn't have much contact with anyone outside of that relatively small circle... :)

Fr. Bill    

I think this discussion is about the Fs2002 MakeMDL only.I must say that I didn't read the MS document entirely first, so I made all the file myself (just copy-paste from the file) and it worked right away.So after you have double checked the files again, could it be that you get the error due to some of the common Fs2002 errors? Like forgetting to set your decimal character to a dot.

Arno