Sign in to follow this  
Guest MatthiasS

ASM file of library object

Guest MatthiasS

Is there any way to create a .asm file of a library object ?Thanks for any suggestions.Matthias

Guest Larrycx

Yes there is a way for FS9. The example below was nade into a notepad file by copy-paste from the BDLcomp SDK except for the name of the library object. This was obtained from the file "library Objects.xls" with copy-paste after opening with a spreadsheet application - in my case Quattro Pro. Be very careful to remove the extra characters from what is copied as the name which will look similar to;0535f58efh, 04dde5c5ah, 025d9e7a9h, 0a76f1817h - be sure to remove the spaces and the "h" between the hex groups when pasting the object name. Also be aware that many of the Library objects are region dependent and can't be moved. You must also paste in the lat, lon coordinates which you can get from FS9 especially if you have Tcalc2400 which can follow the position in FS. Here is the code example for placing a sailboat. Save it as either a txt or XML file and drag it onto BGLcomp.exe to get a BGL to place in your scenery folder. -----------------------------------------------------<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>----------------------------------------------------------------The name was pasted and the extra spaces and "h"s removed.You can copy-paste the example into notepad, change the lat lon and compile the bgl if you wish.Good luck - Larry Costa

Guest MatthiasS

Hi Larry,thanks for the response. What I actually meant is if I can get an .asm file with the models bgl code so I can mess with it. Unfortunately a bgl file created as described here only contains a reference to the library object which also causes the problem that it won't show up everywhere. What I want is a BGL file that contains a copy of the model data. And if I could also get that decompiled somehow into an asm file, that would be fantastic.Matthias

Hi Matthias,For the Fs2004 libraries this is not possible at the moment. There is a decompiler that can give you the MDL files from the BGL, but there isn't a decompiler yet that can create ASM files for you.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hello Matthias,Perhaps you could try the following: - Launch MakeMDL by double-clicking on it. - Go to the Options tab and select "Keep all file". - Exit MakeMDL. - Launch GMax and Export your mesh as usual.Please let us know if this works.Best regards.Luis

I am not use if that works Luis. Does MakeMDL make a cfg file when you use it like this?You can keep the files during export by making such a file manual or by using MDLCommander.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest MatthiasS

Hi Arno,how would I go about in getting the MDL file (from a library object) ?If I create a BGL based on a library object it appears to only contain a reference to that object and FS loads it from who-knows-where. If I could get the MDL data separated and put it into my BGL that would be a big step.Thanks,Matthias

Guest MatthiasS

Hi Luis,hmmm, I'm not really exporting anything because I am trying to use a library object, so I have no gmax object.But on second thought I think there is a way to attach a library object to a (dummy) gmax model but even if I export this, I believe it won't do more than adding a reference to the library object to the XML file of the new object. Matthias

Hello Matthias,Very sorry, I misunderstood your comments.Arno, yikes! you are right. No config file is created at all. It had seemd to me that this worked in the previous version, but now I cannot get even that to work. Sorry for the mistake.Best regards.Luis

The tool BGLXML can do this, you can find it in the file library.

Arno

Guest MatthiasS

Arno, you rock ! Your help is much appreciated.I have that tool but didn't realize it would export MDL data if it exists. With a grep utility it is possible to find the library id in the FS bgl file and BGLXML names the exported file with the object id, for example SceneryGenericsceneryGeneric.bgl contains a bunch of objects not tied to a region.Thanks ! Without your help on this board and your webpage there's no way I could have gotten as far as I am right now with my project.Matthias