Sign in to follow this  
Guest Centurion

Changing runway texture...

Guest Centurion

Hi all,I would like to change all FS9 runway textures to a simple flat gray appearance to more closely resemble the way in which runways are portrayed in Level D Full Flight Simulators. I was hopeful someonecould advise on the easiest way to do so. Thanks. Cary

Guest Ridge_Runner_5

Have you tried the Airport Enivornment Upgrade packages available here?

Guest Centurion

I have indeed...Chris did a wonderful job with AEU. However, I amlooking for a simple gray texture. Chris' textures are far moredetailed than what I am trying to experiment with. Thanks for the reply.

>I have indeed...Chris did a wonderful job with AEU. However,>I am>looking for a simple gray texture. Chris' textures are far>more>detailed than what I am trying to experiment with. Thanks for>the reply.I think you've somehow overlooked the obvious. Since you have Chris' package, you now know precisely which texture files need to be altered.Surely it cannot be difficult to simply load 'em in a paint program and make 'em all a totally bland, featureless, uniform and boring gray... :)Personally, I'd be more interested in upgrading the scenery of the Level D flight simulator... :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Centurion

>I think you've somehow overlooked the obvious. Since you have>Chris' package, you now know precisely which texture files>need to be altered.Actually, I am one step ahead of you :-) I am experiementing with this but have achieved some strange results. The images cannot be brought directly into Photoshop but must go through DXTBMP(?).I am having some trouble sending a modified image back into DXTBMP.I am curious what all the various runway images are (runway10, 11, etc)..>Personally, I'd be more interested in upgrading the scenery of>the Level D flight simulator... :-lol You wouldn't believe what that costs!Cary

>Actually, I am one step ahead of you :-) I am experiementing>with this but have achieved some strange results. The images>cannot be brought directly into Photoshop but must go through>DXTBMP(?).>I am having some trouble sending a modified image back into>DXTBMP.If you have DXTBMP configured to use Photoshop as the "default editor," then load the image into DXTBMP, then doubleclick on the image to send it to Photoshop. Make the changes in Photoshop, and then close the image. Phtoshop will ask if you want to save the image (it defaults to "norm.bmp). Simply say Yes, and return to DXTBMP. Click on the UP ARROW below the image to "reload the edited image."Simple, no? :)>I am curious what all the various runway images are (runway10,>11, etc)..Without looking, I'd guess that they correspond to the rwny heading...>>Personally, I'd be more interested in upgrading the scenery>of >>the Level D flight simulator... :-lol >>You wouldn't believe what that costs!Trust me, I would believe it, having spent many an hour in one at Flight Safety International... :)However, that said: a graphic, is a graphic, is a graphic... irrespective of the platform used! :)

Fr. Bill    

Guest Centurion

>If you have DXTBMP configured to use Photoshop as the "default >editor," then load the image into DXTBMP, then doubleclick on the >image to send it to Photoshop. Make the changes in Photoshop, and >then close the image. Phtoshop will ask if you want to save the >image (it defaults to "norm.bmp). Simply say Yes, and return to >DXTBMP. Click on the UP ARROW below the image to "reload the edited >image.">Simple, no? No! ;-)... Whenever I click on the reload button, it does not reload.The original image still exists in DXTBMP. I save it as Norm (default) in Photoshop. Any ideas (editor is correctly configured).Thanks for your continued help.

>No! ;-)... Whenever I click on the reload button, it does not>reload.>The original image still exists in DXTBMP. I save it as Norm>(default) in Photoshop. Any ideas (editor is correctly>configured).This is from the DXTBMP "Help" file:"DXTBmp uses the root of the C: drive for temporary storage. These files are normally removed when you close DXTBmp but they can get corrupted and unremoveable. If you start having problems with loading images it may well be due to corrupt temporary files. To clean them up you must use Windows Explorer to view the root of C: and delete any Bmp files you find there.Because it is now possible with some installs of Windows XP to have a system that has no accessible C: drive there is an option on the prefs menu to select a different drive for temporary storage. If you use this option you must make sure you select a drive letter that is for a valid Hard disk. Do not select a drive letter that is for a CD drive or that does not exist or you will get problems running DXTBmp."I suspect that you might need to configure a different drive for the temporary files... :)

Fr. Bill    

Guest Centurion

Thanks Bill. I missed that in the docs - will give it a try (I am running XP, so that may be the problem).