Sign in to follow this  
Guest christian

effect sounds

Guest christian

And another problem:I want to add self-recorded cicada sounds to FS2004 (using effects is the only way I can think of). I had a read through previous posts. It seems straight forward enough to use existing sounds. But has anyone figured out how to add new sounds?Cheers, Christian

Hi Christian,I just experimented with adding sounds to waterfall visual effects and it worked as intended, except that the distance the sound is audible, as opposed to the distance it gets triggered at, was too small to be of use for a big waterfall.Basically, I used the procedure explained in this thread: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchI searched for free waterfall sound effects on the Internet, found a couple of suitable ones, and renamed the .wav file of choice to the three corresponding file names of the Sound Param= setting.I'd be interested to hear whether this procedure works better for you, specifically regarding distance.Cheers, HolgerP.S.: the alternative is LAGO's FSE display and sound system. The non-expiring demo version allows one to make file packages of up to six items. However, the downside is that all users would need to have the demo or full version installed on their system.

Guest luissa

Hi,Also have a look for a FS module made by Jos

Guest christian

Thanks for that.Holger, am I right that you have to rename one of the existing sounds for your technique? It looks to me as if the numbers are hardlinked in the sound.dll, which is a bit silly.Luis, the module only supports one sight for night, and one for day when the engine is switched off, right?Cheers, Christian

Since I wanted to keep it simple. It also support another mp3 called party. The idea is that I feel that is unnatural to hear sounds with the engine on and want to take advantage in using mp3 and the better sound experience that provides. However the wav placement as some advantages when you want to provide specific repetitive sounds like water running. If you know C++ feel free to see and use the source code.http://www.jcboliveira.flysplash.orgYou can also find source code for Direct Sound wav playing. I have limited scenery programming knowledge. However I think that easiest way of providing trouble free wav placement is to use a module that detects the scenery user variable value and play a wav/mp3 based in the value. The user variable could be changed by using the SCASM monitor command and conditionally change the value with setvar7e.Jos

Hi Christian,yes you have to use the corresponding file names, and all three variations (*a to *c) at that. Pretty annoying, and also a potential trap for conflicts between developers but at least the sound files are CFS sounds and don't occur in FS default.Also, you have the option of using the sound file directly, say, as an additional effect on touchdown (also works with AI but the effect is global and only played once) or via a crtl_*.fx file with a distance-based trigger. Another negative thing I noticed is that somehow the sound effects interfere with visual effects. My Victoria Falls have very complex visual effects but they work well. However, as soon as the aircraft is close enough to trigger the sound effects, parts of the visual effects disappear. Another reason why I dropped the sound until/unless I finf a better option.Cheers, Holger

Guest christian

Thanks, Jose. I think the way you've done it is probably the only sensible solution. At this stage I don't think I want to spend the time to write my own sound module, but that's the only 'neat' solution I can think of.I guess, I'm at the point where Holger is. Wait for FS2006 to add sound. Quite a pity.Cheers, Christian