Sign in to follow this  
Guest jersey shore

Adding AWOS without a runway??

Guest David Lee 2

Here in Colorado we have AWOS stations at some of the mountain passes. I would like to add these to FS9 using AFCAD but can't quite make it work. I tried adding the location as a heliport with an AWOS but that didn't seem to work. The location shows up on the GPS (unfortunately!) but no AWOS. Do I have to put a runway there to get AWOS? Is there some other way to do this to keep the field fairly hidden but get the AWOS. Thanks!David

Maybe a stupid question, but what is AWOS? :D

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

AWOS - Automated weather observing systemASOS - Automated surface observing systemGenerally, these stations are located at uncontrolled airports and elsewhere. They monitor weather/surface conditions and report the information on VHF frequencies using computer generated voice.Your problem may be that the weather system doesn't recognize your station, therefore it is not going to provide the output data. Since the stations exist in real life, the weather system might have them in the database.W. Sieffert

Guest David Lee 2

I believe AWOS stands for Automatic Weather Observation Station. It differs from ATIS because it is computer generated and doesn't require someone onsite to make the observation.David

OK, I get it :).And you are trying to add them to FS by using the ATIS function I assume? I think an ATIS only works if you make an airport, but I am not sure if you need a runway (on the other hand the message that the ATIS produces in FS will probably not really match the AWOS message in real life).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I copied the definitions from the FAR Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) 2004, Section 4-3-26 Operations at Uncontrolled Airports With Automated Surface Observing System (ASOS)/Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS).W. Sieffert

Guest jersey shore

basically..awos is what you hear and read when playing in fs9 about weather conditions...basically just tune the frequency and you hear the message just as in real avaition to get a weather briefing