Sign in to follow this  
Guest Larrycx

Need to plant trees in FS9

Guest Larrycx

Hi All,I have Garrishs Gray's trees_3.zip and have installed trees_0.bgl in my FS9sceneryworldscenery folder and his textures in my FS9textures folder. A downloaded airport scenery shows the trees just fine. I have FS2004 and want to plant some trees on my airport but the SDK Garrish included in his zip makes no sense. I use AFCAD2004 for my work so far and know how to show a FS9 library object with BGLcomp (XML). I assume that the trees in trees_0.bgl and associated textures make library objects. How can I place some of these in FS9?All the references to FS2002 confuse me since I have not really studied adding scenery to versions earlier than FS9. Can you give me an example of BGLcomp xml code that may work? I can also use BGLC if necessay. I do have Airport and SCSM but am ignorant about them.Help, Help,Larry Costa

The trees are in API format and you will need either FSSC or Airport (or direct scasm code) to use them. There might be a way to convert the API to XML, but I wouldn't know it and you would also need the library info in there as well. The downloaded airport has all the tree info programmed ionto it, so all you needed was the textures and the library bgl.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/PBTMCa.jpgCalVirAir International VACougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviation[link:www.cgrmtnhelos.com]Cougar Mountain Helicopters

Best, Michael

KDFW

I do hope that Gerrish will update his trees for FS2004, but I think that the technique he uses -- rotating the tree to face the user -- may be on the list on non-approved techniques for FS2004!I'm commented n Gerrish's trees in FS2004 design in my tutorial here:http://www.windowlight.co.nz/newtools1.html (page 8)My only solution was to use the 'approved' tools -- GMAX and AFCAD2 -- as far as I could, and only switch to Airport For Windows to place the trees.Maybe what we'll need is a hybrid -- the power of SceneGenX, but with the ability to sneak older macros in!

Hi Larry,Two comments.1. You can not call the old style libraries with the new XML code, so as already pointed out in the earlier replies you would have to use a tool like Airport, FSSC, etc to place them.If the only thing you want to place with these "old" techniques are the trees you might also want to have a look at my ObPlacer tool (see my website). This allows you to slew around the scenery and then place some macros. Might be easier then having to setup Airport first.2. You can still use these rotating trees in the new scenery format. I have already been able to tweak the output of GMax in such a way that I can also make a tree MDL file that does rotate that way :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hello Arno,I have not found the method for rotating trees on your web site. Could you please indicate how this is done? Thank you.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis,It's basically this trick, but for the Fs2004 ASM files the location where you need to enter them is a bit different. I thought I had also wrote that down somewhere, but I can not yet find it :).http://www.scenerydesign.org/modules.php?n...=article&sid=51

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Couldn't find my example anywhere, so I made a new article about it on my side. This shows the Fs2004 code:http://www.scenerydesign.org/modules.php?n...=article&sid=90

Arno

Guest Larrycx

Michael, Thanks for the reply, its closer to what I want to hear than the following replies. Assume my airport is already done in AFcad. I have both FSSC and Airport but have used neither. Garrish implies using his trees with Airport. Will suffering enough to learn airport mess up what I have already done with AFcad2004? I can learn to handle code other than XML if given an example similair to what I need to plant a tree in almost any language that references the Garrish macros. I can learn from examples or tutorials but have a rough time with some manuals that assume I already have a strong background in stuff outside the manual's scope?Dummy Me,Larry