Sign in to follow this  
Guest rcritz

Question on AGP 4* (1.5V) bus.....

I have a LeadTek GeForce 2 GTS / 64M card, a little old in the tooth now :)I'm looking at buying a motherboard that supports only AGP 4* (1.5V). I see on the website for my old (existing) card that it's 2*/4* AGP, AGP2 3.3V, so I'm guessing this is a compatibility issue.Are later GeForce 2 cards to the 1.5V spec? Was this a break in AGP technology?Thanks for any answers.Bruce.

I'm using a GeForce 2 TI board in just such a motherboard. I consulted a technogeek associate of mine and was told that most all the TI boards are compatible with the new standard, but the MX boards may or may not be. He told me to look at the tabs on the board that get inserted into the mobo slot. The newer 1.5v boards (also known in some circles as AGP Pro boards) have a "hook" on the end of the tab. Mobos designed for this type of board have a clip that locks onto this hook when the board is inserted. If the hook is missing from your board, then its the older type.

Guest PaulL01

Do not put a 3.3v card into a 1.5v slot!Edit:That is, there are some 1.5v-(only) slot AGP 1.0 boards out there. I should have read more carefuly that you are talking about a new board. A new board should have the AGP 2.0 slot and if it is a Universal AGP slot will provide support for either 1.5v or the older 3.3v cards.Sorry, I just wanted to clear-up any confussion.I think you can sort out the details here:http://www.hardtecs4u.com/reviews/2001/agp4x_update_e/Hope all the info helps!Paul

Hi Paul, ("slolution" should read "solution" :) ).A very interesting article indeed! I knew about the AGP 4* spec, but didn't until now realize the possible incompatibility issues.Thanks for your reply. I'm looking at what may be an interim solution to a video card fix, being a GeForce 3 Ti 200, which advertises as having AGP 2.0 support. If you (or anyone reading this) has any info on performance (for FS2002) with this card, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback (especially if what you have to say is not good).Thanks again, much appreciated,Bruce.

Interesting information, there's a lot more to AGP 2* or 4* than I expected!Thanks again for your reply,Bruce.

Guest PaulL01

>I'm using a GeForce 2 TI board in just such a motherboard. >I consulted a technogeek associate of mine and was told that >most all the TI boards are compatible with the new standard, >but the MX boards may or may not be. He told me to look at >the tabs on the board that get inserted into the mobo slot. >The newer 1.5v boards (also known in some circles as AGP Pro >boards) have a "hook" on the end of the tab. Mobos designed >for this type of board have a clip that locks onto this hook >when the board is inserted. If the hook is missing from >your board, then its the older type. Either you confused his info or else he is incorect, 1.5v has nothing at all to do with Differentiating between a AGP universal or an AGP pro slot as there are 3.3v AGP pro cards and slots combonations out there. 1.5v are standard on all newer 4X and pro AGP.The tab with the "hook" is merely a feature that the is "enabled" when Mother board manufacturers choose to use an added lock-down on their Unirversal AGP slot to insure a better connection but it is not included on all Uni 4x AGP slots.The Key here is weather or not you have a mother board with AGP 2.0 spec and a universal AGP slot, as that will allow either voltage card to work.Paul

Guest PaulL01

>Hi Paul, ("slolution" should read "solution" :) ). >>A very interesting article indeed! I knew about the AGP 4* >spec, but didn't until now realize the possible >incompatibility issues. >>Thanks for your reply. I'm looking at what may be an interim >solution to a video card fix, being a GeForce 3 Ti 200, >which advertises as having AGP 2.0 support. If you (or >anyone reading this) has any info on performance (for >FS2002) with this card, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback >(especially if what you have to say is not good). >>Thanks again, much appreciated, >>Bruce. Bruce, As long as your new mother board is AGP2.0 (it will be) and has a universal AGP slot you should have no problem at all as the MB will sense the need voltage and use the appropriate setting.As far as A GF3TI200 card, It works just great however trying to be the wiser you would be far better off picking up the GF4TI4200 as its price is within reach of the GF3TI2 card but the performance at higher resolutions and AA will blow the GF3 card out of the water.Paul

Thanks Paul,"As long as your new mother board is AGP2.0 (it will be) and has a universal AGP slot.... "I think this is the issue here with this mobo (ABit Intel 850 chip), in that it *requires* an AGP 2.0 compliant card, and is not compatible with the older 3.3V cards (such as (apparently) my existing GeForce 2 GTS card). Thanks for the advice on the video card too, much appreciated.Thanks again for your help,Bruce.

Guest rcritz

Perhaps. But, for example, the Asus P4B266 only supports 1.5V cards. It detects 3.3V cards and refuses to power on if one is installed.