Sign in to follow this  
saabpilot

FS Architect

Guest pks1414

I have just got myself into this and a fine bit of software it is too. I would really appreciate some assistance of any Guru ou there on a couple of questionsI have tried setting everything up and using AFCAD for the main airfield data etc, however when it comes to FS9 the AFCAD point is way out to FS Architect, even though the co-ordinates are the same (52 08.428 and 001 50.853) any ideas.Also I have been trying to use some of the API macros off the net, however they don

Guest bnick

Paul - Hi, I've used FS Architect since it first came out, and still do now at times, but it does have it's serious limitations in FS9.As I wrote here a few months ago, Doug Pouk is planning to release an FS9 compatible version of FS Architect as soon as he finishes his home remodeling project and can return to re-writing the program to function properly within FS9.I'm presently using FS Architect2002 V3.30, for creating FS9 Exclusion bgl's, and which work perfect in FS9, but that's about it. My old FS2K Architect2K bgls seem to constantly cause a terrible memory leak when flying in anything but blue skies... go figure.In the Performance tab of Windows Task Manager I can just watch my 2gb of ram disappear within a minute or so, but only when I turn on any clouds combined with Architect2k scenery bgl's running in FS9, even with texture directories removed.If I turn off the Architect2k scenery in FS9, I can then turn on all the weather I want, active or otherwise, and fly for hours with my ram always staying at about 1.5gb. So Architect2k presently has it's problems running in FS9. I'm curious how your Architect scenery runs in FS2k, I'll bet it's probably ok.The Architect Webpage tells in more detail what some of the FS9 problem areas are that still need to be addressed when Doug is able to return to the project.I don't know if this will help at all... Hope it does a bit...

Guest pks1414

HiI haven't really got that far to test the ground (so to speak) so far. I am still getting my head around the package itself. I have got the polys and things showing up and for the larger stuff I am going to be using buildings created in Gmax, which could be interesting when I come to place.I must admit to being baffled with the AFCAD and Macro problem though. I cannot figure out why co-ords that are the same end up placing differently. As for the Macros :-hmmm the odd thing is with these is that I have 2 sets downloaded by the same guy (gliders), the one registers okay in the Macro Registry, and the individual objects show up in the sim, but I cannot scale up or change their heading. The other file by the same guy..no chance, even though the files are made up of API's, resources and Textures.The one that I really wanted to use was the 20 object set from Franks Hangers, there is a wonderful fence in there, same problem though.Not really sure what to try nextCheers Paul

Hi guys,The commercial design grop where I belong is using Architect on a regular basis and I must stress that we have little or no problems with it.Architect is merely a graphical interface between Free Scasm or Scasm and the results depends on what scasm version you use.If an api is made as a standard scasm compatible api and there are no faults in the api you will have no problems.Memory leaks are not an Architect feature, the cause when they happen is due to a poor programmed api or possibly the use of an outdated scasm compiler.Some of Architect features like the mesh-tool are obsolete but in those cases they are also unneccessary as newer stand alone programs (even freeware) can perform the same results.As a "glue-board" for scasm compatible 3D .api objects, Architect is still among the best.True, it cannot handle XMS or Gmax, but as of now there is no good graphical interface available for that.In "FS10" maybe the scasm support will disappear in favour of the new language introduced with FS9, but we are not there yet, and to give your scenery FS9 as well as FS2002 compability scasm is required.Best,Bjorn

Guest pks1414

Hi Bjorn,Am I right in thinking then that it is the Macro that is not correct?if that is the case, where do you start looking for well written Macros that work within the program. The odd thing is they all work in FSSC and AFW 2.6 hence the confusion. As for Gmax I have created separate BGL's etc and edit the XML to place these.ThanksPaul

Could it be that Architect uses a different format for the coordinates then AFCAD?For example that AFCAD works in DD:MM.mmmm while Architect works in DD:MM:SS.ssss? I don't use Architect so I don't know which format is use, but that could be the reason of the different position.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Re. coordinate problems see Arnos post here.You have to input coordinates in the correct format.If the api:s work OK in FSSC they should most certainly work in Architect so it looks more like a coordinate input error.Also if you are living in a country that uses "," as decimal delimiter you have to change that in your OP systems regional settings to "."If not ARCH will truncate away the decimal part from the coordinates in the generated scasm code and thus the objects will not show up in the correct positions in FS.Where to get correctly written api:s I do not know. We are constructing and writing our own api:s with the help of FSDS 1.6 and FSDS2.Hope it helps,Best,Bjorn