Sign in to follow this  
Guest gorchi

Irrigation circles revisited

Hi Holger, Ryan and Y'all,I tried one more time to put a centerpoint irrigation circle within a square. Here's what I did:1. Drew a VTP2 square, texture 041 (hot and mild grasses and shrubs), Layer 152. Saved and compiled the square. 3. Drew a circle within the square, texture 010 (irrigated grassland), Layer 164. Saved and recompiled.5. Drew another square, texture 041, Layer 156. Saved the square, no recompile7. Drew a circle within the square, texture 128 (grass), Layer 168. Saved circle and recompiled.9. Placed resulting BGL file in scenery10. Flew the area, square visible but no circle within the square!I'm certain that I did nothing wrong and figured that it's got something to do with textures. Since the Red Lodge Ski Area came out OK, I drew a square using texture 010 (irrigated grassland) and a circle within the square with texture 003 (coniferous forest). By dogies, we have a circle wihin a square!Wondering if arid textures do not mix with those of other climes etc., I drew another square with texture 053 (barren tundra) and circle within it with texture 010 (irrigated grassland). No dice, no circle! Apparently some textures work in superimposition while others don't. Otherwise, ?????So, I guess it's centerpoint irrigation circles without squares. They look all right except for the improper default textures/landclass. I can make several within the LOD13 areas and still have decent looking scenery.Wil

Hi Wil,that's an interesting theory about the lack of superimposition. Intrigued, I use one of the satellite images to test it, using your instructions. I drew two sets of squares with rough circles inside, the only difference being that I used landclass texture "02" for the second square.Well, my crops seem to grow well ;-) Attached are the screenshots how they look through the seasons. Using texture 128 is probably not suitable because it has some autogen trees, but "10" works well.Not sure what could be the issue in your case, particularly since some textures seem to show up but others don't. Are you using any kind of replacement texture sets?Cheers, HolgerP.S. For testing, I've attached the compiled .bgl of these two fields. They are a few miles south of KBOI (Boise). Starting at Boise and switching to top-down view and zooming out some should show their location.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/76489.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/76490.jpg

Hi Holger,Well, you've got me! I have no idea what's going on. Give it a try using the same textures that I did and see what you get. I'll try it with that 02 texture and see what happens. I don't have any addon textures installed, just the defaults.Wil

Howdy Holger,I tried a quick and dirty square and circle using the 02 testure for the square and 10 for the circle and got a circle in the square. Just for the heck of it I tried putting a square around one of the circles I had drawn earlier using the 02 texture for the square. It didn't work, I have the square with the circle beneath it. The attached snapshot shows my test at the bottom and the square covering the circle at the top beyond the airplane.Wil

Hi Wil,have you tried the zipped .bgl attached above? It does contain one circle with "10 on 41" and one with "128 on 2".Cheers, Holger

Howdy Holger,Yes, I looked at your irrigation circles this morning. Are those autogen trees in the one circle and LOD13 seams in both? I can duplicate them using your texture combinations but can't using other pairs. For example, the attached JPG shows a quick and dirty circle (foreground) that I drew within a LOD13 area. I forget the textures. Then I quickly drew the middle circle using the 10 on 41 combo that you used. The far image is a 128 on 52 experiment that doesn't show the circle. I don't think that there is anything wrong with my computer etc. and suspect that only certain texture combinations will work/certain texture combinations won't work. If this isn't true, then something is wrong with my computer, programs etc. or ??????Try that 128 on 52 combination and see if you get a circle. If you do, this should confirm a problem with my setup. If you don't get a circle, I'm going to make a test program and see which texture combinations work and which don't. I'd like to get as much variability in textures as I can since the satellite image shows such a condition in the Paradise Valley north of the park. I may do this anyway and have someone try to replicate my results or the opposite. Have to get my teeth cleaned this morning but will try it when I get back home.Wil

Hi Wil,"Are those autogen trees in the one circle and LOD13 seams in both?"yup. Class 128 has autogen trees and shrubs, as I mentioned in my previous post. And, yes, those are LOD13 seams - I'm not making scenery with crop circles, I'm just testing your hypothesis ;-)"Try that 128 on 52 combination and see if you get a circle."I do; see screenshot below. I haven't tried any other combinations but those that don't work for you worked for me. Besides, if YOU can see the 10 on 41 combination in Boise but not in your Yellowstone scenery I'd say chances are that the problem is not with the textures. Nevertheless, I encourage you to keep on checking different combos. You could also check whether it is specific locations, rather than combinations, that create problems.Cheers, Holger http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/76842.jpg

Hello Holger,I'm treating irrigation circles in squares to a period of benign neglect. Too much time wasted and I'm snowed with all the combinations, what works, what doesn't etc. I don't understand why I can get some to work but not others as you do. It could go on forever and I want to finish the Yellowstone NP project before taking a couple of weeks to do some archaeology down in Wyoming.Maybe I'll work on it some more later on. It is kind of interesting and I may have some kind of problem that might be correctable. Your area idea is interesting. I'll download your Boise image and try some over there when Yellowstone is done.Thanks for your ideas and examples.Wil

Guest gorchi

Hi,Maybe I am wrong but have You checked whether You have any other VTP BGL around, probably excluding or covering the same area? It happened to me and I also earned new diploma when investigating the problem.Otherwise find quite interesting, that You use such big layer numbers; I put my VTP scenery on layer 4 or 5 usually in FS2k2/2k4.And One more question: how does it look by night in FS2k4, is it lighted up or dark as it is supposed to be? I had a lot of problems recently with this...Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Hello Goran,I'm relatively new to this scenery manipulation game, so anything I do is not necessarily the correct way to go. I had some excludes in the area for the Yellowstone River, the highway that parallels the river and a lateral stream. However, yesterday I edited the BGL files to remove these features and eliminate the need for exclude files. I haven't looked at the irrigation circles at night.I want to finish my project of adding lakes and moving streams and roads to their correct locations in Yellowstone Natiional Park. I've spent a lot of time fooling around with the irrigation circles and need to finish my project. However, I'll take a look at it again since changing my scheme and see if anything is different.I used the higher layer numbers simply out of ignorance/lack of experience.Thanks for the information and suggestions. I'll give them a try in the near future.Wil

Howdy,Goran, I tend to use higher VTP2 layer numbers too, simply because I want to stay out of the default layer ranges in case some other scenery comes along with extensive excludes ;-) In the opposite case - someone wants or needs to exclude some of my stuff - have now started to include a list of my layer set with my read-me docs.The "night lights" of landclass-textured VTP2 polys that shouldn't have any lights can be avoided by keeping the two kinds (cities etc with night textures vs golf courses etc without) in two separate G2K4 project files AND on different layers. I had problems with this a while back and Joachim was kind enough to dig into the issue and discover this work-around. Works perfectly.Cheers, Holger

Guest gorchi

Hi Holger!I understand Your use of higher layer numbers; it can be justifed by the reason You gave and exclusion by XXX scenery can happen really quickly, I admit. So I use polys on layers 4-6, bridges on 7, shorelines on 8, rivers on 16, roads on 30-32 and railroads on 33.And maybe crop circles that do not show can just be victim of such exclusion :)Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net