Sign in to follow this  

Forestry GIS

Guest cwright

Many thanks, Dick! I wondered if I might have missed something.... The bmp export is still faulty, with the lines tipped to the left, but with jpg or tif it works fine. Many thanks. Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Hello, bnick, although I've done a lot of work this year there hasn't been a public release for some time. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to release it right now as the documentation needs a lot of work. In the next few days I'll post an update on the program with a description of the main features and a few screenshots. That should give you a good idea of how useful it could be. Then, hopefully sometime next week I'll release a 'temporary' version which should have sufficient documentation to get you going. Meanwhile, I'll take a good look at what's involved in importing fGIS bitmaps, now that I know it can export high-resolution bitmaps (thanks, Dick!) Much of the development this year has been aimed at TerraScene import and it's now working very reliably. This allows scenery generation of lakes, shorelines, roads etc at very high resolution (it uses USGS data). The program and the data is free (TS automatically downloads the required data from the USGS site) - but the downside is that (as far as I know) it can only be used for the US. For those not familiar with TS, search for 'Terrascene' on the Avsim library. Best regards, Chris

Hi Chris."The bmp export is still faulty, with the lines tipped to the left, but with jpg or tif it works fine."I haven't seen this. The bitmaps I saved were fine. I'll look at some more. As I indicated above, the programers are taking suggestions.Even the bitmap will most probably be need some work in a paint program. For example, Ground2K4 bitmaps should be 256 colors to save memory... the bitmap output is 24 million colors. So a jpeg or png or tiff could be saved, and then an 8-bit bitmap made from that image.This is a nice, free tool for working with vector data.Dick

Guest vlada stoje

Hi all!A crazy picture to this topic

This is a great find, Dick. Where in heavens did you come up with it?Now I shall have to redo all my projects of the last few years.Many thanks.Luis

Guest Dezza

Hi Guys,ERDAS ViewFinder is a freeware image analysis package that allows raster reprojection. It will handle GeoTIFF and .img files, but you can also download a plugin from ER-MAPPER that will allow you to read an .ecw that you can then save as one of the other formats which you can reproject from. Follow the link then go to free downloads...http://gis.leica-geosystems.com/erdascentral/Cheers,Derek

Hi Derek,well, I'd call that a very good start - your first post and it might just be the "Holy Grail" that scenery designers without access to commercial GIS have been waiting for. Good catch; thanks for letting us know! I'll start an extra thread about this utility because I belive it's a significant find!Cheers, HolgerCan't wait for your next post ;-)

Guest DonB_1

Chris,Terrascene is also set up to handle shapefile data for the rest of the world, downloaded for free with ArcExplorer2, or anywhere else you can find it (including Tiger census data for the US). For example, the USGS land cover data for Hawaii was corrupt but I was able to find some highly detailed shapefile data to render the Big Island with TerraScene for Fly! The tutorial that comes with TerraScene includes a chapter, using Hong Kong as an example, on how to enter shapefiles into the database. Much of the shapefile data is pretty sketchy but Colin (don't know his last name) has developed a nice utility that will convert shapefiles for editing in CAD programs and then reconvert for use in TerraScene. It's available here: http://avsim.com/hangar/fly/colins2/terrashape.htmlLooking forward to your program, spent many long, contented hours developing terrascenery for Fly!Don

Guest Dezza

LOL, well as a long time reader of this forum I saw this thread and thought Id better put something back in and let you guys know about this one...Happy reprojecting!Derek

Guest cwright

Hi Don, thanks for the info. I just took a quick look at the TS manual - I'll go through it in more detail later. Being able to work outside the US is a big advantage. As I said, a lot of development work went into optimising TS import and it's working very well now. There are often errors in the TS bitmaps, but now AutoAsm has an integrated editor and tools that allow the errors to be fixed in a fairly consistent manner. The new release will be delayed a bit - it'll be another week or so. There is a learning curve and so it's very important to get the documentation up to scratch! Best regards, Chris

Hello Derek,For one not well versed in this stuff, which ERMapper plug-in are you referring to? There appear to be several possibilities at the ERMapper site.Thanks.Wil

Guest Dezza

Hi Wil,From the ER Mapper home page (www.ermapper.com) go to:Support > ECW Downloads, then scroll down the page until you find ERDAS ViewFinder 2.1 ECW Plugin.Derek

Hi Derek,After another senior moment it finally dawned on me to read the question and do a little logical searching on my own. Unfortunately I had forgotten my password to the ERMapper site. I now have it and will catch the program today. However, after reading Holger's new thread, I'd better leave this one alone until I've learned a lot more about this stuff.Wil