Sign in to follow this  
Holger

How to identify texture tiles

Guest ScottR

From within FS9 (or Fs2002) is there any way to determine exactly which 256x256 texture tile from the world/scenery/texture folder you are looking at at any given point on the terrain? I have tried printing off contact sheets of some of the textures, but it is hard trying to identify which is which.I am interested in merging default textures with photoreal textures (see previous post on photoreal colouring).Regards

Hi, In the terrain sdk there is TerrainTextureNames.doc, the explanation of each texture and the files name, or convert the default fs2k4 terrain ground texture with a utility bach files on nornal format and you will able to saw them with the thumbnail faster.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi Scott,if you're referring to the landclass tile for specific locations then you should get TMFViewer (part of the Scenery SDK) and load worldlc.bgl, then use the "jump to" function and zoom to find your area of interest. Alternatively, you can do the same with Jim's LWMViewer. Either will give you the landclass number; to find the corresponding texture name use the MS SDK Terrain Texture Names.doc, as pointed out by Chris, or the FS2004 list by Gerrish Gray.Cheers, Holger

Guest ScottR

Hi Holger,This may be a silly question, but exactly where in either TMFviewer of LWMviewer do you actually see the tile landclass texture number? I have tried out both viewers, and looking at the bgl's from the world/scenery folders in either FS2002 (e.g. worldlc.bgl)or FS9 I can zoom into the relevant LOD 13 area, but where is the landclass number? I can use the "highlight landclass" button and choose a number to enter, but this doesn't help a lot. What does the "value" box show?Also, from the world/textures folder you can see all the groups of textures for each of the landclass types listed in the terrain SDK document (and view them with Martin Wright's viewer) , but when you try and select a new landclass in Ground2k4, all the texture choices aren't available, and many selections bring up the same texture sample for different landclass numbers. Any ideas?Regards

Hi Scott,oh man! what a silly question ;-)Just kidding!Well, the "value" in TMFViewer is indeed the landclass number (when viewing a landclass file) and the same number you would select in Ground2K4 (but NOT the file name; see my post above). With LWMViewer you have to load a terrain mesh .bgl first, then switch the display to landclass, then load the landclass file. In this case, the landclass numbers (plus name) are shown in the lower right corner.As for incomplete choices in G2K4, I never noticed anything missing. It is true that not all of the correct base textures are shown in the preview window but I'd suggest using PolyView or one of the landclass texture catalogues for selecting landclass types anyway. Also, you have to keep in mind that there are regional subgroups of classes (again, check the SDK table), so depending on where in the world you place your landclass file, different numbers often mean different ground textures. None of the catalogues I'm aware of show these differences; I believe they are all based on the default/North America region. Thus, when working outside of North America you need to do more extensive testing (or use Martins TView utility to anticipate what the textures will look like).Cheers, Holger