Sign in to follow this  
Guest Atunall

Getting Started

Guest Atunall

So, I am looking at getting started with scenery design. I live on the west coast, PDX area, and am really looking for some good scenery for KPDX, KHIO, KSEA, KBFI, CYVR etc. I have a few bits and pieces, but nothing that really makes me happy. First, is there any freeware scenery that is -really- good for these areas? Second, how would I get started with airport scenery design. What programs do I need? Are there any good tutorials? Can I use predesigned pieces such as jetways, taxiway textures etc?Also, if there is anyone currently working on freeware projects for these airports and would like some help from someone who is good with computers, and is trying to learn graphic and scenery design, please reply and Ill get back to you.Thanks,Andrew Tunall

Guest abent

HI Andrew, I would suggest starting with a small airport using GMAX and the FS 2004 SDK. Others here at the forum may recommend other programs. I was in your shoes about 8 months ago. GMAX is pretty user friendly after you learn a few tricks. I am working on a series of airports for Manitoba, Canada and have completed Winnipeg (CYWG, The Pas (CYQD), THompson (CYTH), Norway House (CYNE) and a couple more. Winnipeg is in the beta test phase now. I will be releasing 6 sceneries very soon.One of the most time consuming and difficult aspects of the design, I find, is getting good digital pics of airports. I visited CYWG about 3 times at a few hours each time. I've gone to each airport for a few hours. Unless you get very very good pics of each building, you will end up hand drawing all your textures. Even with good pics, be perpared to do a lot of skewing and re-sizing with PaintShopPro or Photoshop. I draw almost every texture as I find them more clear in FS. Airport signs, company logos are all from photographs.Gmax is on your FS2002 disk in the extras folder I believe. Once you get that loaded and configured, I would recommend searching the net for tutorials. Windowlight design has a good one. There are others but I do not have links unfortunately.The tutorials you will find are very straight forward - introducing you to the fundamentals of, for example, creating a simple house and exporting it into FS. Once you do that, it's just a matter of creating more complex structures. Later you can add effects and transparent windows etc.I have received a great deal of help from generous people in this forum so I would be willing to help you out. My knowledge is limited compared with some of the scenery designers here but I certainly could assist you with the basics.Email me if you want some help.You will find this scenery design extremely rewarding after some initial frustration LOL!Adam

Guest Atunall

Yea, I already have GMAX loaded and am trying to find some good tutorials. Right now, I am looking at KHIO since I live 15 minutes or so from it, and it is not -too- complex. But because I fly for a VA, Id like to eventually do some great PDX scenery, KSEA scenery, maybe some stuff at Eugene, and then down in California and up in Washington. Either way, would you recommend using other people's scenery for parts of yours, and just giving them credit? I.e. for gates?Thanks, I have Photoshop 7 and am decent with it, and can probably get some decent digital pics of the areas I want.Thanks again,AJ

Guest abent

AJ,I've never thought of using parts of other's sceneries. I guess it all just depends on how unique you want your airport to be. I can tell you that it took quite a while to model my jetways for CYWG so in that respect it would save a fair bit of time. I do occasionally import some component or another from one of my scenes into another - such as a fuel tank or light standard - but as a general rule I'd like to avoid the kind of generic look you get from having the same objects from one scene to another such as one gets with some of the add-on scenery 'enhancers'.An airport the size of CYWG takes in the order of 3-4 months to complete. I'm not sure how big KPDX is though I would love to see it done as I often fly from CYVR down the US coast.A fellow asked me recently if I would be interested in working with him on CYYC. A great flight is from CYYC to KPDX over all those beautiful mountains.Best of luck with your projects. And again, if I can be of any assistance, drop me an email.Adam

Guest HSIMAN

Hello AndrewI agree with Adam, if you get into it and you enjoy learning, you'll get through gmax but you'll have to carefully study sdks first.Good luck!friendlyChristian, Paris, Fr.

Guest fame

Hi Andrew:Take a look at our Website. We offer a fine selection of tutorials (see Design), you're certain to find something helpful to guide you in your scenery design efforts.I hope this helps in some small way, visit the URL below (see sig), for additional ideas and suggestions.Good luckTom G, Sr.

Guest Atunall

Taking a look at your website, thanks for the link. I live near some airports, and am wiley, so I can probably get some great digital pics. Most of all, I have background in Java programming and some graphic design, so I think that should help. I really, really, really want to put some good freeware stuff out there.Off to experiment!Andrew Tunall