Sign in to follow this  
Guest HotShot

LWMViewer update imminent

Guest jimkeir

Hi all.I'm planning to update LWMViewer over the next week or so - nothing earth-shattering, mainly bugfixes and speed improvements. I recently found that my ISP provides a newsletter feature so if you'd like to be kept informed about this and future updates, you can subscribe on the program's [a href=http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim/LWMViewer.html]support page[/a].Usual deal, subscribe/unsubscribe as you feel like it. It's not updated very often any more, so you won't be deluged!Cheers,Jim Keir.

Guest finnis

Jim,Can I suggest you add a switch on the command line so that we can have the source code put out directly to file. For eksample if I type LWMViewer /decode Mybglfile.bgl this would decode the file and save it as Mybglfile.asm. As it is today the LWMViewer only opens the file in the Viewer.This feature would be really helpfull for other programmers when trying to automate the process of editing the default lwm files in FS.Thanks for a easy and relly helpfull program.Finn

Guest jimkeir

Hi.Sure. I think someone asked for this before - completely forgot. I won't be able to stop the window appearing because the save-to-disk functions are part of the drawing code but I should be able to make it save and then close automatically. No guarantees, but I'll try and get it in this update.One of the other things I've changed is to merge the Bitmap and Source output functions. This means that you can easily export *part* of a file by giving area boundaries - handy for creating subsets of the default files minus bits you've modified :) Of course, you can still export bitmaps and source separately, it's just that they share the same area selection dialog now.Cheers,Jim Keir.

Guest cwright

Jim, many thanks for a very useful program! Just one small thing: when called from AutoAsm the latest version (from March) asks "Load matching files?" not once but twice - in the previous versions it didn't show at all, which is much better. As the files are called from the command line then the requester probably isn't needed. Once again, many thanks. LWMViewer is a great boon for program development as I can quickly check the results without having to run FS. Best regards, Chris

Guest jimkeir

Hi.Yes, that dialog gets a little annoying, doesn't it? The new version doesn't ask at all for files given on the command line.I've added the 'disassemble from command line' feature. I just want to test a little more before releasing it - it works under 'normal' conditions, but I've not done any deliberate failure testing yet.HTHJim Keir

Guest finnis

Thanks Jim,What can we say? Splended work..Finn

Guest jimkeir

Hi all.I've posted a new version of LWMViewer to my website. I'd appreciate it if some people could give it a go - there are always a few things I miss which need correcting.I'll make the formal release next week, if there's no outstanding problems.The URL is : http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim/LWMViewer1.3a.zipThanks,Jim Keir.

Using 1.3aI export a .BMP and get a response "0 files created" but in fact the .bmp and .txt files are created. Export source works as expected.nv*.bgl display works for me. Nice feature, although I'm not sure how I would use it.Is there a practical size of a dem file to display? I have one from FSG that's 51 Meg, and it kind of causes fits.scott s..

Guest jimkeir

Hi.I missed the "0 files created" for a bitmap. It's talking about the number of *source* files exported, so I'll need to patch that. Thanks.> nv*.bgl display works for me. Nice feature, although I'm not sure how I would use it.Um, yeah. I know what you mean. I put it in mainly because I got fed up of going into the FS Map display to find the nearest airport or navaid frequency :) (If you hover the mouse-pointer over a navaid it will show you the name and freq.)> DEMs - I have one from FSG that's 51 MegElevation display does need a *lot* of memory. It should only decode the bit that's on screen at the time and it tries to minimise the memory required when it's zoomed out so there shouldn't really be any problem with most files. I've had it displaying some DEMs at around 30Mb and it coped on my PC with 1Gb RAM; it's also had no problems with three smaller files at a total of around 40Mb.If you move the display around a lot when it's zoomed in, it will use a lot of memory very fast because it stores the decoded versions of the DEM tiles. The more you move, the more it stores. You can clear the store by switching the elevation display off and on, or by changing the display type (i.e. from colour to greyscale and back again).Anyway, thanks for the report, I'll try and get the dialog-box bug fixed this weekend and try it again with some large files.Cheers,Jim.

Guest bnick

Jim - Congrats and thanks a bunch for a great program...Upon opening the Viewer the very first time, I promptly opened and viewed at the same time, 38 bgl's I created for our Portland scenery...Upon turning on the points, I sat back in awe at the realization that if these nodes or points, as some call them, could be edited ie: added, deleted, moved, etc, this program could become one of the most important scenery design tools available to all of us today...All I can say is Wow, the potential of this program is incredible, and the other utilities you demo on your web site are equally impressive...I'm ready to buy this one in a heartbeat... Ohhh if those vectored points and poly's were editable... Everything is in place to take this program to King-of-the-hill for scenery design...You are sitting on a potential gold mine here... As soon as you add the drawing tools you should also open up a new checking account... You'll need it...Thank You very much...bnick

Guest luissa

>I'm ready to buy this one in a heartbeat... Ohhh if those>vectored points and poly's were editable... Everything is in>place to take this program to King-of-the-hill for scenery>design...Hi,If Jim decides to add an export file with a list of lat/lon pairs, I will imediatelly implement a matching import to SBuilder! :-)Regards, Luisps: Jim - I feel like suggesting many things to you (see the VTP/LWM patch). Please forgive me if I should not do so.

Guest Horst

Hallo all,A little bit off topic.Thanks Jim, for this great tool.We need almost every information, you can get, in your tool.Not only for scenery designer, also for the user to repeat the failures in sceneries.It is easy to handle, and it is reading the information right.We will have better forum discussions, what user really see in the Sim.I do not like, when designer manipulating my original files with an installer (see the

Guest cwright

Hi Jim, I just tried the latest version. The dialog has gone, which is great. But there's a new problem. When I call it from AutoAsm, LWMViewer opens behind the AutoAsm window, so it's invisible! Many thanks. Best regards, Chris