Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Stronger lights?

Guest pehje

I created some red warning lights on top of buildings and on poles to be placed next to airport as warnings etc. I used FSDS2 and set material to red colors and tried different values on specular power etc, but my lights are very faint compared to the lights on the runway e.g.How do I create more powerful lights on builidings and other stand alone objects?Per

I am afraid that is not really possible. I think nobody has succeeded in making the lights as strong as the runway lights yet. I tried to make custom runway lighting with the light dots, but the visibile range is much to small if you ask me.The runway lights are also hard coded in the sim, so that might be the reason they look different (and better :)).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Howdy,couldn't you adjust the brightness of lights when placing them as effects files (.fx) or are these types of lights native to FSSC?Cheers, Holger

Hi Per.We had a discussion about this at Arno's website ( unfortunately down at the moment ). As Holger indicates, effects can be used.In an experiment, I found the lights from effects have an additive property... the more effect lights, the stronger they are.Here's a zipfile that contains a Gmax example:http://www.flatface.net/~rhumba/downloads/RedObs_9.zipIt uses 9 standard fx lights ( fx_obslight.fx ), closely placed as an object effect attachment. I assume you could just closely place the effects themselves with XML ( slightly offsetting the refpoint by using the bias commands ). Keep adding them until you get the brightness you desire. I haven't tried this, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.Or make an object with Gmax and add the effects as in the example.Dick

I used effects. For bridges a modified fx_strobeh.fx The trick was to increase the particle size to a value more suitable for a scenery (like 3x the plane strobe). Of course you can also add several effects in the same place or add emitters in the file.Jos

Guest pehje

Where do I learn about how to create fx lights like that? I

Hi LuisIt can be seen very faint from the Echo, Delta stand in LPPT, or the second bump in the bridge, maybe 8 km in clear weather and maybe least 2500 ft in altitude. The goal was during the taxi to 21 and the right turn after 03 T/O. Right now the particles are 3x the original size and putted 3 effects in each place, I'm not completely sure about the aditive effect.RegardsJos

There's a MS SDK for that, to modify or taking advantage from stock ones is not dificult. The only thing that I find very hard to achieve is to sync several emiters to do things like running strob lights, never achieved that.Jos

Hi all.attached are 2 text files. They are XML code for placing an effect. The first is for the standard dim obs light. The second uses the same effect ( fx_obslight.fx ), but placed 16 times in the same location.The location is the standard SeaTac airport.Light effects are additive in intensity... the more you add, the stronger they are. It's a simple solution.Dick