Sign in to follow this  
Guest fame

SceneryDesign.org down

As some of you might already have noticed my website www.scenerydesign.org is down at the moment.I got an email this morning from the hosting company that they had problems with the server and that they would be moving all users to another server. I am still waiting for more information and I hope the website will be back online this evening.This post is just to let you all know I am aware of the problems. If I have more news about when the site will be back, I will let you all know :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

OK, some additional news and it isn't good news today.The crash of the server at my webhost was that severe that the entire site is lost. Unfortunately the backup at the webhost is also lost and I don't have a very recent backup of the database, so all recent forum posting are lost.I am now locating as much pieces of the old site on my PC as I can. I hope to have a basic website running again in a few days. After that I will expand it again till we have it back at the old level.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Good luck getting back up and running. I don't mention it often, but I find your site to be highly valuable as a reference. Its appreciated.Bob B

Guest bones

Bad news Arno - I have had the same happen to me. I now design the pages on this computer and upload via FTP - is this an option for you?I look forward to seeing you back in action - your pages are an invaluable reference..boneshttp://fsaviation.net

Guest gorchi

Arno,that are very sad news and I hope You can restore the website. It became one of the most valuable resources and I wish You a lot of luck and patience.Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.netP.S: My opinion is that Your webhost should took greater care about backuping especially since You had/have very valuable forum there...

>Bad news Arno - I have had the same happen to me. I now>design the pages on this computer and upload via FTP - is this>an option for you?The old website was database driven (new one will be again I think), so I can not really design it offline. I just need to remember not to trust the host that much and make more backups of the database myself as well :). But I have certainly learned from this and it will not happen again.

Arno

Hi Goran,>that are very sad news and I hope You can restore the website.>It became one of the most valuable resources and I wish You a>lot of luck and patience.I will certainly restore it, but not in its old forum. All recent forum posts are lost anyway (I think I can recover most tricks and tutorials, but the forum was very valuable as well).I will probably use this chance to make some slight changes to the layout and structure of the site as well. I am planning of integrating the tips and tutorials into the forum and then also giving the forum a more prominent place on the website.>P.S: My opinion is that Your webhost should took greater care>about backuping especially since You had/have very valuable>forum there...Yes, I thought they did have proper backups. But they told us the server had been hacked and it seemed that severe that it is now totally lost (including the backup). The site will now be running on another server, as it was still on their old server. But as I wrote before I will make more backups myself (I will try to automate that in some way).

Arno

Hi Arno.That was a big loss! The information in the forums was very valuable.Your website and forum are daily stops for me. I hope you're up and running soon, so we can enjoy this valuable resource again.Dick

>I will certainly restore it, but not in its old forum. All recent >forum posts are lost anyway (I think I can recover most tricks and >tutorials, but the forum was very valuable as well).ArnoI did a backup of your site on May 16 using TeleportPro so that I could read your site on night shift (off-line). I think it has most, if not all of the recent forum posts and virtually everything else from site up until that date [about 640MB]. It is viewable in browser from a CD. I have dial-up, so I couldn't realistically upload it anywhere, but I could snail-mail a copy to you on CD if you want. How long from Oz to Netherlands? Is it worth it?

Guest fame

Hi Arno:Sorry to hear of the sites loss... I can certainly empathize.Good luck in getting all the pieces and parts reconstituted. Look on the bright side, (if there is one) you can now move forward with those little additions and modifications to further enhance scenerydesign.org.Good LuckTom G, Sr.