Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jorge Antunes

Ground 2k4 newbie

Guest Jorge Antunes

Hello everybody,I'm just a newbie at ground2k4. I'm still in the experimenting fase and I just draw a nwe coastline, following the instrutions that are in the "Ground2K for Beginners" file,However when I try to generate the BGL I get this error message"Start 02-06-2004 16:42:48Fatal error : Line crossing itself at Bitmap X: 25 Y: 1247End 02-06-2004 16:42:49"Questions:How can precisely point the line crossing?Is there a way I can edit the coastline so I can resolve the crossing?Is there any other tutorial for ground2k4 other the one mentioned above?Thanks for any assistanceJorge Antunes

Hola Jorge,The reason you are getting this error message is because your polygon crosses over itself. What? you say that you are sure that it does not?You may not realize that a coast is, in reality, a polygon. You only draw that part of the polygon that follows the coastline.Ground2K4 will always complete the polygon by closing your curve. It does this by drawing a straight segment from one end of your curve to the other.Please see the Problems section of Ground2K for Beginners for a detailed and illustrated explanation of this problem and its solution.Best regards.Luis

Guest Jorge Antunes

Luis, Thanks for the reply,I see that I've to extend them so that the line that goes from end to another does overlap the coastline I've design.Still,I don't find a way to edit the coastline I've made, so I supose I'll have to do it again.Much appreciated for the advice ;) Jorge Antunes

Guest Jorge Antunes

Hello,I've made some progress with Ground2k4 and continue to discover the possibilities that it has to offer.Still, I'm doing really newbie mistakes. I've find out that to do the polu with shore I was using a VTP2 Poly. What a dumb mistake.But still I've some problems: http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/78765.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/78766.jpgAnd now I really don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong.Can anyone help me?Thanks in advanced.Jorge Antunes

Howdy,1. The square blue sliver in the top area of your image is due to a missing landclass declaration. Click on the LC box and add appropriate landclass values about 2-3 LOD13 squares out into the water (don't worry, they won't turn to land).2. The sliver of water in the lower part is due to the fact that your shoreline polygon gets closed automatically. You'll have to extend the first and last point inland a little ways. (Isn't there a description about this issue in the beginer's tutorial or the G2K4 docs, even with pictures?)Cheers, Holger

Guest Jorge Antunes

Hi Holger, Very much apreciated for your reply.I'll try that tomorrow.Best regardsJorge Antunes, LPSC

Guest Jorge Antunes

Hi HolgerI must be really dumb or doing something really bad (or both:-( )because I can fix the images.I've made what you told me but it's all the same.Anyway thanks for the help. I'll keep on trying.Best regards.Jorge Antunes

I have found that it helps to look at your files in the LWMViewer program. You can zoom into your project area, and see the exact polygons that ground2k4 created. Often you can see that where you ended your coastline, in relation to the area grids, resulted in a "strange" polygon shape being created.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/80091.jpgThis is an example of the kind of display you can get.scott s..

Hola Jorge,It can be confusing at first, but you will see that in fact everything is pretty simple.Perhaps you could help us to understand the problem by giving more information. Please post screenshots of: - the Ground2K4 workspace showing what you have drawn. Please zoom in to the problem area so that it is visible. Also, if you select the Area Properties icon (F1), all your polygons will be drawn in a solid red line and thus be more visible; - the Properties pages of the polygons that have problems so that we can see if there are any mistakes there; - the resulting scenery in Flight Simulator, although if it is the same as the above images, there is no need to do this.Please do not post large images - they take a long time to load and are not really useful.Best regards.Luis

Guest Jorge Antunes

Thank you Scott and Luis.I believe I'm making some huge confusion regarding soma basic concepts like LMV Poly and VTP2 Poly.Concerning the Coast line wich one should I choose?Once again, thank you for your help.Best regards,Jorge Antunes

Hello Jorge,Both Land Masks (L/WM) and Vector-based Textured Polygons (VTP2) can be used to draw land masses. So, this is perhaps not the source of your problem.Forgive me for insisting, but we can only determine the nature of your problem if you provide enough information in the form of the screenshots that I mentioned above. Otherwise, we would only be guessing and might take a long time to find a solution. Please do consider posting those screenshots.Again, please do not post large images - either crop your images or re-size them to smaller dimensions.Best regards.Luis

Guest Jorge Antunes

Luis,Thank you some much for your help.Due to several factors I've been away from FS and all related stuff this last couple of weeks, having going quickly to foruns.As soon as I get my hands on the "FS world" I'll post what you've asked.Once more, thanksJorge Antunes