Sign in to follow this  

Can AFCAD2 override a 3rd party airport?

Have a 3rd party airport in FS2004 where I like the scenery, buildings, etc, but the actual airport runways, markings are a bit dated.Tried plugging in an AFCAD2 of the airport - the taxiways, parking spots are updated and working but can't see anything... markings, taxways, etc. Appears to be about 10 feet below the 3rd party height level. The AI aircraft are sunken into the pavement about half-way!Can Flattening, Exclude, or any other ideas work to acheive this?thanks,marcus

It depends a bit on how the addon was made, but if it was made with a tool like Airport or FSSC you can not get the AFCAD data to show above it. So you can never get your new taxilines etc to show on top of it, unless you remove all ground polygons of the addon.About the height problem, I think this should only happen when the addon is not at the same altitude as the default scenery.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks. At this point I am not as concerned with showing my AFCAD markings. Would be happy just to align the heights evenly. I tried a program called Jabbgl but not having any success. :(The aiport is Kai Tak in Flightsoft's Hong Kong 2004. I have sent them an email as well but if "airport gurus" could lend a helping hand... that would be great.

Guest Tony_A

If you park the default Cessna 182 on the runway - go into slew mode (Y key) then hit F1 you can read the elevation from the screen - press SHIFT-Z until you see it -deduct 3 feet and this should give the altitude of the runway. Make sure everthing on your AFCAD file is set to this elevation.... Tony

Tony.... ya had my hopes up. Tried what you said step-by-step.1. - Height of Hong Kong 2004 Airport was 15.1 feet2. - -3 feet equals 12.1 feet or 3.688 meters3. - Opened JABbgl and changed my AFCAD to 3.688 (all areas)4. - Re-opened FS2004 No Change :(

I think the altitude of the Cessna was 3.8 ft, but that small difference wouldn't be the problem I guess.What is the altitude of the default scenery (MS)?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest luissa

Hi,Although most of data from the custom afcad overides data from the default afcad, you also need to change the height of the default. Changing the height of the customm afcad will not suffice. Note that this observation relates to the previous version of afcad for fs9. Finally, try a bigger change. If it works, then fine tune!Regards, Luis

Your right Luis! I Just got an email from Jacky (the Author of JABbgl), and he said the very same thing. One needs to edit the "Base Layer" or lowest layer AFCAD that FS2004 provides.I went back, made the changes accordinglly and I thought I was in heaven! Lot's of AI all over the airport at the proper elevation matching Hong Kong 2004. Then several aircraft taking off from famed runway 13. I eagerly awaited my first AI to land and one finally did... about 30 feet off the ground!?!?! It then taxied in mid-air to it's parking spot. Note the snapshots. How on earth can departing AI be at correct elevation and all landing AI be at a different elevation?At least I am getting a good lesson on Airports 101! Back to testing and head-scratching... Help!!!

Well, forum wil not let me upload photos. Keeps kicking me out and asking me to re-enter my name+password. Arrrrg... always have problem with AVSIM. Phots are correct size, even turned off firewall and Antivirus.

Happy to report after further testing I discovered I had changed the elevation of my modified AFCAD when I was trying different ideas. I matched it up to the Base layer and it looks good for both takeoffs and landings now.Wow! What a learning experience. I have an completely new appreciation for the "smarts" that go into airport design and MSFS in general. Thanks to all you gave input. Hopefully other airport "nubies" can follow this thread to correct changes to 3rd-party add-ons or placing FS2002 airports into FS2004.keep flyin'