Sign in to follow this  
jvile

Generic Scenery Folder vs. Library Settings Scenery

I did a search on this subject with no results so I would like to ask what is the advantage or dis-advantage in FS9 when using the scenerygeneric folder.If I compile a single scenery bgl and install it in the SceneryGeneric folder it appears to work fine. I can also make a new folder in the FS9Scenery folder and then activate it through the Library settings moving it to the bottom of the list. This also appears to work fine so again my question is what is the advantage or dis-advantage on where I place the single compiled scenery bgl? Thanks for any help I recieve on this

I would not use the default folders for your own creations. If you put everything there it will be very difficult to remove a specific scenery later on, therefore it is better to make a new folder for each project and place all the files related to the project in there.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

There is an order of priority when FS loads/searches for scenery. I believe that user folders are last making them a higher priority.Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Thank you for the answers. I do notice that alot of addon scenery developers install into a new addon scenery folder (do to multi files and future updates) and not the scenerygenericscenery folder. I do realize there is a priority level for scenery and I am trying to get a better understanding of this and the consequences when useing the default Generic folder. The SDK BGLCOMP specifies the following:2. Run the BGLComp compiler on the file and a resulting .BGL file will be created. 3. Copy the .BGL file to the SceneryGenericScenery directory of your Flight Simulator installation and run Flight Simulator.Maybe its all based on simplicity scenery (default folder) rather than complex scenery (addon folder). Example, if I add a building to a airport the default generic folder would be sufficent for this but if I create and new entire airport then the addon scenery folder would be ideal. Thanks for the answers, just trying to understand FS9's rational for the Generic Folder vs Addon Folder.

You would use one of the "fixed" folders if you wanted the element to appear in many or all cases of flight regardless of the configuration in the FS Scenery Manager.Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

I think the intent of the scenerygeneric folder is to hold libraries of objects, which then can be placed anywhere in the world. The .bgls which actually place the objects should be installed within the scenery library hierarchy to maintain the priority scheme.scott s..

Guest adriano

Hi,I think there are at least four good reasons to make separate folders, at least to a certain extent:1. as Arno said, you may like to remove them in the future; this sometimes happens when improved versions appear;2. some sceneries require a Texture folder, while others require it NOT to exist;3. some Authors split their sceneries into two or three separate folders, both for reason 2 and for an easier accomodation of priorities;4. it may happen that different sceneries use different BGLs with thesame name, or worse different textures (I call it the "hangar2.bmp" syndrome). Now, a user with guts can rename a bgl and everything works (being careful to priorities), but with textures one should break and modify the corresponding bgl... a nightmare. Much, much easier storing the sceneries in different folders.This said, too many folders are no doubt a nuisance. I'm not even completely sure that there is no upper limit to the number of different sceneries Fs9 can accept in the cfg file. Personally, I have created a relatively small number of folders, i.e. one for meshes, one for large landclass files, one for small landclass files, one for excludes, one for coastlines etc., and then i divided the others by geographical areas. Yes, when I want to remove an old scenery I'm in some trouble. I must look for the old version and pick up its bgls by hand. But it doesn't happen so often.I would recommend that all scenery designers designate their files, both bgls and textures, with a name that starts with their unique "signature" and a reference to the current project, so that it would be immediate understanding what is what (I think that would not prevent re-using textures on different projects, even if the name is the same: when one scraps an old scenery, usually you only eliminate bgls, not textures). I've already seen a few scenery designers behaving this way, and I think it's great.Cheers,

Thanks for all the good info. This has been very informative and inceased my knowledege on the best place to add a scenery bgl. Addon in its own directory appears to be the best approach which again is based on all the positives you guys have listed.